xdm and screen dimension - Xwindows

This is a discussion on xdm and screen dimension - Xwindows ; I don't much X which will become obvious, so I could use a little help and direction. I'm trying to use XDMCP to connect to an HPUX machine from a windows box using Cygwin's X implementation. The CDE desktop on ...

  1. xdm and screen dimension

    I don't much X which will become obvious, so I could use a little help
    and direction.

    I'm trying to use XDMCP to connect to an HPUX machine from a windows
    box using Cygwin's X implementation. The CDE desktop on this machine
    provides acces to a legacy app that only runs on the HP.

    The application provides access to a number of tools. The selection of
    any tool pops a new window. All work except one. The window never
    appears and, in what amounts to a control panel for the app, I see an
    error message.

    "Display size must be 1024x768 or more."

    Sure enough if I do an xdpyinfo from a dtterm on the HP, I can see:

    screen #0:
    dimensions: 1018x743 (345x252 millimeters)

    If I don't use XDMCP and pop an xterm on the windows box, an xdpyinfo
    from there returns the desired 1024x768. If I make the connection to
    the HP from a Solaris box, xdpyinfo again returns 1024x768.

    I'm guessing this is settable, but I can't figure how. I tried:
    XWin -screen 0 1024 768 -query hostname
    to no effect.

    I'd like to know:

    Is this configurable? If so:
    Is it a HP or PC fix?
    Can you tell me which file?
    Can you give me an example?

    This is more info then I usually request, but I'm struggling with the
    number of configuration files, options, and resources involved. It's
    hard to get your arms around, if you're not doing this daily.

    TIA
    Gary

  2. Re: xdm and screen dimension

    aspambucket@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I don't much X which will become obvious, so I could use a little help
    > and direction.
    >
    > I'm trying to use XDMCP to connect to an HPUX machine from a windows
    > box using Cygwin's X implementation. The CDE desktop on this machine
    > provides acces to a legacy app that only runs on the HP.
    >
    > The application provides access to a number of tools. The selection of
    > any tool pops a new window. All work except one. The window never
    > appears and, in what amounts to a control panel for the app, I see an
    > error message.
    >
    > "Display size must be 1024x768 or more."
    >
    > Sure enough if I do an xdpyinfo from a dtterm on the HP, I can see:
    >
    > screen #0:
    > dimensions: 1018x743 (345x252 millimeters)
    >
    > If I don't use XDMCP and pop an xterm on the windows box, an xdpyinfo
    > from there returns the desired 1024x768. If I make the connection to
    > the HP from a Solaris box, xdpyinfo again returns 1024x768.
    >
    > I'm guessing this is settable, but I can't figure how. I tried:
    > XWin -screen 0 1024 768 -query hostname
    > to no effect.
    >
    > I'd like to know:
    >
    > Is this configurable? If so:
    > Is it a HP or PC fix?
    > Can you tell me which file?
    > Can you give me an example?
    >
    > This is more info then I usually request, but I'm struggling with the
    > number of configuration files, options, and resources involved. It's
    > hard to get your arms around, if you're not doing this daily.
    >
    > TIA
    > Gary

    try:
    XWin -fullscreen -query hostname

  3. Re: xdm and screen dimension

    Ya know, I swear I tried that option. Because of your post, I tried it
    again and it appears to work. Now I have to figure how I managed to
    screw this up.

    Thanks Santiago
    Gary

+ Reply to Thread