adding a font path problems - Xwindows

This is a discussion on adding a font path problems - Xwindows ; Hi, Adding a font path with a command like: xset +fp ~/my_font_dir only seems to work if entered on the display physically attached to the computer (in this case a Solaris 8 box). If i try the same command from ...

  1. adding a font path problems

    Hi,

    Adding a font path with a command like:

    xset +fp ~/my_font_dir

    only seems to work if entered on the display physically attached to the
    computer (in this case a Solaris 8 box). If i try the same command from
    an alternate display (e.g. Exceed or Cygwin), I get the error:

    xset: bad font path element (#59), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exit or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax

    I have tried Google, but none of the posed solutions work. Some were
    adding -fp option to xwin using Cygwin, and various combinations using
    a font server address.

    fslsfonts -server 192.168.6.55:7100

    does lists all the fonts on the machine I am trying to add the font
    path on.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: adding a font path problems

    santiago538@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > Adding a font path with a command like:
    >
    > xset +fp ~/my_font_dir
    >
    > only seems to work if entered on the display physically attached to the
    > computer (in this case a Solaris 8 box).

    ---8<---

    It only works with local X servers because remote servers don't have
    access to your home directory. The only workaround would be to have
    the home directory shared across the network (via NFS, for example).

    > I have tried Google, but none of the posed solutions work. Some were
    > adding -fp option to xwin using Cygwin, and various combinations using
    > a font server address.
    >
    > fslsfonts -server 192.168.6.55:7100
    >
    > does lists all the fonts on the machine I am trying to add the font
    > path on.

    If your local machine -- or any machine in your network -- is running a
    font server you can try to use

    +fp "tcp/hostname:7100"

    where "hostname" is, well a host name. :-)

    Warning: according to the xset manual page the interpretation is
    server-dependent.

    --- Casantos

  3. Re: adding a font path problems

    nojunk@gate.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br wrote:
    > santiago538@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>

    >>Adding a font path with a command like:
    >>
    >>xset +fp ~/my_font_dir
    >>
    >>only seems to work if entered on the display physically attached to the
    >>computer (in this case a Solaris 8 box).

    > ---8<---
    >
    > It only works with local X servers because remote servers don't have
    > access to your home directory. The only workaround would be to have
    > the home directory shared across the network (via NFS, for example).

    Hi,

    The computer xset does work is not the file server where my home
    directory resides, so that is not the issue. It does not matter if I
    make a local copy of my fonts directory.

    >>I have tried Google, but none of the posed solutions work. Some were
    >>adding -fp option to xwin using Cygwin, and various combinations using
    >>a font server address.
    >>
    >>fslsfonts -server 192.168.6.55:7100
    >>
    >>does lists all the fonts on the machine I am trying to add the font
    >>path on.

    > If your local machine -- or any machine in your network -- is running a
    > font server you can try to use
    >
    > +fp "tcp/hostname:7100"
    >
    > where "hostname" is, well a host name. :-)

    How would I specify my fonts dirctory?

    > Warning: according to the xset manual page the interpretation is
    > server-dependent.

    You must have a different version of the man page than I do!

    > --- Casantos

  4. Re: adding a font path problems

    santiago538 wrote:
    > nojunk@gate.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br wrote:
    > > santiago538@yahoo.com wrote:
    > >>
    > >>Adding a font path with a command like:
    > >>
    > >>xset +fp ~/my_font_dir
    > >>
    > >>only seems to work if entered on the display physically attached to the
    > >>computer (in this case a Solaris 8 box).

    > > ---8<---
    > > It only works with local X servers because remote servers don't have
    > > access to your home directory. The only workaround would be to have
    > > the home directory shared across the network (via NFS, for example).

    > The computer xset does work is not the file server where my home
    > directory resides, so that is not the issue. It does not matter if I
    > make a local copy of my fonts directory.

    I'm not sure if I undestood this. Feel free to use Spanish or
    Portuguese. :-)

    ---8<--

    > > If your local machine -- or any machine in your network -- is running a
    > > font server you can try to use
    > >
    > > +fp "tcp/hostname:7100"
    > >
    > > where "hostname" is, well a host name. :-)

    > How would I specify my fonts dirctory?

    Add that directory to the "catalogue" session of the font server
    configuration file. A "man xfs" will give you more details.

    > > Warning: according to the xset manual page the interpretation is
    > > server-dependent.

    > You must have a different version of the man page than I do!

    I have Xorg 6.8.2 on FreeBSD 6.0-RESLEASE but as far as I know xfs did
    not change very much int the last years.

    --- Casantos

  5. Re: adding a font path problems

    Hi,

    I'm sure if I used Spanish, it would be even harder to understand me.
    :-)

    it sure is difficult getting X terminology right! I've found that
    setting the DISPLAY environment variable to the machine running my app
    will work...but it seems like for each problem i figure out, 7 more
    spring up in its place~

    Anyway, Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread