Problem exporting entire desktop - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Problem exporting entire desktop - Xwindows ; Hi, I have two Linux boxes, one is running an X server, the other will be running X clients. On the client, via telnet from the server, I have exported my DISPLAY to the server. On the server I have ...

  1. Problem exporting entire desktop

    Hi,

    I have two Linux boxes, one is running an X server, the other will be
    running X clients.

    On the client, via telnet from the server, I have exported my DISPLAY to the
    server. On the server I have executed the xhost command to allow a
    connection from the client.

    It works great if I run, via telnet, xclock & or xterm & on the client.

    What I would like to do is run GNOME or KDE from the client and see
    everything on the server. I tried startx on the client and it didn't work.
    How do I do this?

    Many thanks,
    Joe Hesse

  2. Re: Problem exporting entire desktop

    Joe Hesse wrote:
    > I have two Linux boxes, one is running an X server, the other will be
    > running X clients.
    >
    > On the client, via telnet from the server, I have exported my DISPLAY to the
    > server. On the server I have executed the xhost command to allow a
    > connection from the client.
    >
    > It works great if I run, via telnet, xclock & or xterm & on the client.
    >
    > What I would like to do is run GNOME or KDE from the client and see
    > everything on the server. I tried startx on the client and it didn't work.
    > How do I do this?

    You can't start a KDE/GNOME session because you already have a
    window manager controling the display. There are two ways to do
    what you want:

    a) Run a XDMCP authentication process in your client machine and
    instruct the X server to send it query packets at startup. You must
    start the machine without X enabled, login as root and run

    X -query

    b) Log in at the server machine using a "bare/failsafe" session. If xdm
    is your display manager, give your username/password and press F1.
    For gdm/kdm there should be a session type menu with a failsafe
    option to choose. This will start a terminal emulator but no window
    manager. After loging in you can use

    telnet
    xhost + (no space after
    '+')
    ... login/passord
    DISPLAY=:0.0
    gnome-session (or kde-session, startkde, whatever)

    or
    ssh -X
    ... login/passord
    gnome-session (or kde-session, startkde, whatever)

    I'd suggest you to read the XDM and X Terminal mini-HOWTO:

    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XDM-Xterm/index.html

    --- Casantos

  3. Re: Problem exporting entire desktop

    On 2006-02-25, nojunk@gate.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br wrote:

    > Joe Hesse wrote:
    >> It works great if I run, via telnet, xclock & or xterm & on the client.
    >>
    >> What I would like to do is run GNOME or KDE from the client and see
    >> everything on the server. I tried startx on the client and it didn't work.
    >> How do I do this?

    > You can't start a KDE/GNOME session because you already have a
    > window manager controling the display. There are two ways to do
    > what you want:
    >
    > a) Run a XDMCP authentication process in your client machine and
    > b) Log in at the server machine using a "bare/failsafe" session. If xdm

    There is another way, use Xnest, which starts a new X server running on
    a window of an existing X server.

    --
    John Tsiombikas (Nuclear / Mindlapse)
    nuclear@siggraph.org

  4. Re: Problem exporting entire desktop

    John Tsiombikas (Nuclear / Mindlapse) wrote:
    > On 2006-02-25, nojunk@gate.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br wrote:

    ---8<---
    > > You can't start a KDE/GNOME session because you already have a
    > > window manager controling the display. There are two ways to do
    > > what you want:
    > >
    > > a) Run a XDMCP authentication process in your client machine and
    > > b) Log in at the server machine using a "bare/failsafe" session. If xdm

    > There is another way, use Xnest, which starts a new X server running on
    > a window of an existing X server.

    Sure, but that would be a solution for a different problem. :-)

    --- Casantos

  5. Re: Problem exporting entire desktop

    On 2006-03-03, nojunk@gate.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br wrote:

    > John Tsiombikas (Nuclear / Mindlapse) wrote:
    >> On 2006-02-25, nojunk@gate.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br wrote:

    > ---8<---
    >> > You can't start a KDE/GNOME session because you already have a
    >> > window manager controling the display. There are two ways to do
    >> > what you want:
    >> >
    >> > a) Run a XDMCP authentication process in your client machine and
    >> > b) Log in at the server machine using a "bare/failsafe" session. If xdm

    >> There is another way, use Xnest, which starts a new X server running on
    >> a window of an existing X server.

    > Sure, but that would be a solution for a different problem. :-)

    Not really, although I admit I expressed my thought in a bit confusing
    manner
    What I meant was that instead of running a full X server to request a
    login from the remote xdm, you may use Xnest -query host :1 or something
    inside a running X server. I usually find that sort of setup much more
    convinient, since I'm almost always running a local X server.

    --
    John Tsiombikas (Nuclear / Mindlapse)
    nuclear@siggraph.org
    http://nuclear.demoscene.gr/