affordable dual-link (not dual-dvi) under linux? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on affordable dual-link (not dual-dvi) under linux? - Xwindows ; dear Xperts: are there any affordable dual-link graphics cards that are supported under linux? I would love to get the new dell 3007 (or apple 30"), but I need a graphics card that is affordable. I only really need 2D ...

  1. affordable dual-link (not dual-dvi) under linux?

    dear Xperts: are there any affordable dual-link graphics cards that
    are supported under linux? I would love to get the new dell 3007 (or
    apple 30"), but I need a graphics card that is affordable. I only
    really need 2D support; 3D is unimportant. cool running and/or passive
    cooling would be nice, too.

    does anyone have such a setup working?

    sincerely,

    /iaw

  2. Re: affordable dual-link (not dual-dvi) under linux?

    ivowel@gmail.com wrote:
    > dear Xperts: are there any affordable dual-link graphics cards that
    > are supported under linux? I would love to get the new dell 3007 (or
    > apple 30"), but I need a graphics card that is affordable. I only
    > really need 2D support; 3D is unimportant. cool running and/or passive
    > cooling would be nice, too.

    Some NVidia cards support dual-head operation. They are quite
    expensive,
    but wirk very well. A much cheaper dual-head system can be made using
    two cards by means of the Xinerama extension.

    If you have two cards in your PC a "Xorg -configure" will detect them
    and
    generate a xorg.conf file skeleton that you can costomize for dual-head
    application.

    --- Casantos

  3. Re: affordable dual-link (not dual-dvi) under linux?

    not dual head (I already have this)---dual-link. regards, /iaw

  4. Re: affordable dual-link (not dual-dvi) under linux?

    ivowel@gmail.com wrote:
    > not dual head (I already have this)---dual-link. regards, /iaw

    Sorry, my poor English sometimes betrays me. I will rewrite it, since I
    made a typo and was not able to make you understand my message.

    Some more high-end Nvidia cards, like Quadro FX 4500 and 3450 have
    support for dual-LINK. They are quite expensive, but may work very
    well with Linux if you have the suitable driver. This is certainly
    *not*
    what you are looking for, since you want an afordable solution.

    An cheapest way to achieve a near-wide screen is to use a dual-head
    system with two LCD monitors side-by-side. You will need two graphics
    cards and the Xinerama extension. Of course this is less than optimal,
    but is the only afordable solution I can suggest.

    BTW, "afordable" is a relative concept. If you are whiling to pay for
    an
    Apple 30" monitor, then be prepared to pay for the suitable card.

    --- Casantos

  5. Re: affordable dual-link (not dual-dvi) under linux?

    After takin a swig o' Arrakan spice grog, ivowel@gmail.com belched out:
    > not dual head (I already have this)---dual-link. regards, /iaw

    Pardon me; may I ask what the distinction is? I'm not at all sure
    what "dual-link" means; have never seen the term...
    --
    select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'gmail.com';
    http://linuxdatabases.info/info/nonrdbms.html

  6. Re: affordable dual-link (not dual-dvi) under linux?

    nojunk@gate.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br writes:

    >Some more high-end Nvidia cards, like Quadro FX 4500 and 3450 have
    >support for dual-LINK. They are quite expensive, but may work very
    >well with Linux if you have the suitable driver. This is certainly
    >*not* what you are looking for, since you want an afordable solution.

    Solaris/x86 also has good support for nVidia cards with the proprietary
    nVidia driver. (Solaris 10update1 or most recent Solaris Express
    recommended; the driver is still a separate download)

    >An cheapest way to achieve a near-wide screen is to use a dual-head
    >system with two LCD monitors side-by-side. You will need two graphics
    >cards and the Xinerama extension. Of course this is less than optimal,
    >but is the only afordable solution I can suggest.

    Several dual port cards exist which allow dual head too.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  7. Re: affordable dual-link (not dual-dvi) under linux?

    dual-link DVI permits running LCD monitors at more than 1920x1080
    resolution. uncommon. dual-head allows you to run two monitors next to
    one another. common. I have such a setup, but I find it to be a real
    nuisnace that you cannot easily work with windows that cross the
    boundaries---and the boundary is most likely right in the middle of
    your workspace.

    there are many cards out there that support dual-link, but they seem to
    fall into one of three categories:
    * pro workstation cards. relatively slow and expensive (about
    $1,000)
    * Mac cards. rarely supported for PCs.
    * ATI X1*00 cards. affordable and modern (from $100 or so). ONLY
    WINDOWS SUPPORT. NO X SUPPORT, NOT EVEN 2D.

    The 30" monitors cost under $2,000 on ebay. yes, expensive, but there
    is still a big difference between $2,000 and $3,000.

    /iaw

+ Reply to Thread