X.org resolution default not maximum - Xwindows

This is a discussion on X.org resolution default not maximum - Xwindows ; I've been revisiting my X setup to get better resolution/refresh rate, and have run into a problem that I'm not sure on. I'm running an NVidia card (with their drivers) on a 19" CRT. What I'd like to have is ...

  1. X.org resolution default not maximum

    I've been revisiting my X setup to get better resolution/refresh rate,
    and have run into a problem that I'm not sure on. I'm running an NVidia
    card (with their drivers) on a 19" CRT. What I'd like to have is X
    start in 1400x1050@85Hz. Just getting this is easy enough, but I'd
    still like higher resolutions to be available (with lower refresh
    rates), such as 1600x1200 and
    1920x1440 for games, movies, rendering, etc. I'd like them to be
    available, but *not* used by default.

    The pertinent info from my xorg.conf is the Modes I'd like:
    Modes "1920x1440" "1856x1392" "1792x1344" "1600x1200" "1400x1050"
    "1280x1024"
    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

    I've tried the following: 1) Set ViewPort to "1400 1050" in the
    relevant Display subsection. This simply trims all higher resolutions
    as if they weren't there. 2) Reorder the xorg.conf Modes line to place
    "1400x1040" as the first entry. This briefly appeared to work great, X
    started up displaying that resolution, but the ViewPort was still the
    1920x1440 in order to support all indicated Modes.

    Any other suggestions as to how I can accomplish this? Again, I'd like
    1400x1050 for normal desktop use, but be able to switch (via XRANDR) to
    lower *and higher* resolutions. The only other thought I have it to
    place the xrandr -s HxV command in an X initialization script, but that
    seems like a very hackish way to do it, and I'd like it to generally
    start in this mode, independently of which user has logged in.

    Thanks,
    Joel

  2. Re: X.org resolution default not maximum

    mrjoelseph@gmail.com writes:

    > I've been revisiting my X setup to get better resolution/refresh rate,
    > and have run into a problem that I'm not sure on. I'm running an NVidia
    > card (with their drivers) on a 19" CRT. What I'd like to have is X
    > start in 1400x1050@85Hz. Just getting this is easy enough, but I'd
    > still like higher resolutions to be available (with lower refresh
    > rates), such as 1600x1200 and
    > 1920x1440 for games, movies, rendering, etc. I'd like them to be
    > available, but *not* used by default.
    >
    > The pertinent info from my xorg.conf is the Modes I'd like:
    > Modes "1920x1440" "1856x1392" "1792x1344" "1600x1200" "1400x1050"
    > "1280x1024"
    > "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    >
    > I've tried the following: 1) Set ViewPort to "1400 1050" in the
    > relevant Display subsection. This simply trims all higher resolutions

    The viewport is the size of the virtual screen. A higher resolution
    is meaningless so these entries are dropped.

    > as if they weren't there. 2) Reorder the xorg.conf Modes line to place
    > "1400x1040" as the first entry. This briefly appeared to work great, X
    > started up displaying that resolution, but the ViewPort was still the
    > 1920x1440 in order to support all indicated Modes.

    The viewport defaults to the highest resolution available, and can be
    explicitly made larger.

    > Any other suggestions as to how I can accomplish this? Again, I'd like
    > 1400x1050 for normal desktop use, but be able to switch (via XRANDR) to
    > lower *and higher* resolutions. The only other thought I have it to
    > place the xrandr -s HxV command in an X initialization script, but that
    > seems like a very hackish way to do it, and I'd like it to generally
    > start in this mode, independently of which user has logged in.

    I can't think of any other solution. If you want all users to have
    this behavior, add the xrandr command to whatever global X startup
    scripts your system uses (/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc here).

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@inprovide.com

  3. Re: X.org resolution default not maximum

    I would like like to see any solution, too:

    - my physical Display is a 16:9 - TV-TFT : 720x1280
    - some applications need a bigger - virtual - resolution (i.e.:
    1024x1280)
    - graphical boot rhgb and gdmlogin start in the biggest - and virtual -
    resolution...

    Isn't /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc obsolete ?

    Måns Rullgård schrieb:

    > mrjoelseph@gmail.com writes:
    >
    > > I've been revisiting my X setup to get better resolution/refresh rate,
    > > and have run into a problem that I'm not sure on. I'm running an NVidia
    > > card (with their drivers) on a 19" CRT. What I'd like to have is X
    > > start in 1400x1050@85Hz. Just getting this is easy enough, but I'd
    > > still like higher resolutions to be available (with lower refresh
    > > rates), such as 1600x1200 and
    > > 1920x1440 for games, movies, rendering, etc. I'd like them to be
    > > available, but *not* used by default.
    > >
    > > The pertinent info from my xorg.conf is the Modes I'd like:
    > > Modes "1920x1440" "1856x1392" "1792x1344" "1600x1200" "1400x1050"
    > > "1280x1024"
    > > "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    > >
    > > I've tried the following: 1) Set ViewPort to "1400 1050" in the
    > > relevant Display subsection. This simply trims all higher resolutions

    > The viewport is the size of the virtual screen. A higher resolution
    > is meaningless so these entries are dropped.
    >
    > > as if they weren't there. 2) Reorder the xorg.conf Modes line to place
    > > "1400x1040" as the first entry. This briefly appeared to work great, X
    > > started up displaying that resolution, but the ViewPort was still the
    > > 1920x1440 in order to support all indicated Modes.

    > The viewport defaults to the highest resolution available, and can be
    > explicitly made larger.
    >
    > > Any other suggestions as to how I can accomplish this? Again, I'd like
    > > 1400x1050 for normal desktop use, but be able to switch (via XRANDR) to
    > > lower *and higher* resolutions. The only other thought I have it to
    > > place the xrandr -s HxV command in an X initialization script, but that
    > > seems like a very hackish way to do it, and I'd like it to generally
    > > start in this mode, independently of which user has logged in.

    > I can't think of any other solution. If you want all users to have
    > this behavior, add the xrandr command to whatever global X startup
    > scripts your system uses (/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc here).
    >
    > --
    > Måns Rullgård
    > mru@inprovide.com

+ Reply to Thread