X Server implmentation - Xwindows

This is a discussion on X Server implmentation - Xwindows ; Hi, I am curious how X Server is implemented on Linux: What kind of system calls they need, do they need some special graphic system calls to do so? I checked the UNIX system calls, and didn't find any thing. ...

  1. X Server implmentation

    Hi,

    I am curious how X Server is implemented on Linux: What kind of system
    calls they need, do they need some special graphic system calls to do
    so? I checked the UNIX system calls, and didn't find any thing.

    Thanks a lot

    Michael

  2. Re: X Server implmentation

    Baihao Yuan wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am curious how X Server is implemented on Linux: What kind of system
    > calls they need, do they need some special graphic system calls to do
    > so? I checked the UNIX system calls, and didn't find any thing.
    >
    > Thanks a lot

    An X application uses all kinds of Xlib calls to draw things. Read the
    O'reilly Xlib manual:

    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...e+Search&meta=

  3. Re: X Server implmentation

    Russell Shaw, le Fri 10 Feb 2006 15:00:32 +1100, a écrit :
    > >I am curious how X Server is implemented on Linux: What kind of system
    > >calls they need, do they need some special graphic system calls to do
    > >so? I checked the UNIX system calls, and didn't find any thing.

    The X server doesn't need any system call, except ioperm() for getting
    access to the video board. From then on, it just uses direct regular I/O
    with the board.

  4. Re: X Server implmentation

    "Samuel Thibault" wrote in message

    > Russell Shaw, le Fri 10 Feb 2006 15:00:32 +1100, a écrit :
    > > >I am curious how X Server is implemented on Linux: What kind of system
    > > >calls they need, do they need some special graphic system calls to do
    > > >so? I checked the UNIX system calls, and didn't find any thing.

    > The X server doesn't need any system call, except ioperm() for getting
    > access to the video board. From then on, it just uses direct regular I/O
    > with the board.

    Thanks a lot!

    Baihao

  5. Re: X Server implmentation

    Is there any good book descripe X server ,xlib ,window manager and so
    on

    design and implention??

    thanks.

+ Reply to Thread