LF: X Windows (X11) implementation for Windows 3.11 - Xwindows

This is a discussion on LF: X Windows (X11) implementation for Windows 3.11 - Xwindows ; Hello, I am looking for a "X Windows" (X11) server for Windows 3.11, as I am interested in turning an old Windows 3.11 machine into a "remote display". Does such thing exist? (would prefer freeware but shareware is OK) Thanks! ...

  1. LF: X Windows (X11) implementation for Windows 3.11

    --
    O Thanks, Renan(r) - Canoas, RS, Brazil
    / \ "If a train station is where the train stops,
    | what is a workstation?"
    / \

  2. Re: LF: X Windows (X11) implementation for Windows 3.11

    Renan wrote:

    > I am looking for a "X Windows" (X11) server for Windows 3.11, as I am
    > interested in turning an old Windows 3.11 machine into a "remote
    > display".
    >
    > Does such thing exist? (would prefer freeware but shareware is OK)

    A long time ago, Quarterdeck Software produced DESQview/X. It is still
    available download at http://www.chsoft.com/dv.html (see the Wikipedia
    entry at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DESQview for comments on the
    license terms).

    Another option is Xappeal (http://download.unesp.br/msdos/xappeal/).
    Thie used to be shareware, but as far as I know the owning company
    does not exist anymore. You will need a packet driver to use it (see
    http://www.dendarii.co.uk/FAQs/dos-net.html)

    Be warned that these are rather old software! YMMV

    Boa sorte

    --- casantos

  3. Re: LF: X Windows (X11) implementation for Windows 3.11

    In comp.windows.x, Renan

    wrote
    on 4 Feb 2006 17:08:47 +0100
    :
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am looking for a "X Windows" (X11) server for Windows 3.11, as I am
    > interested in turning an old Windows 3.11 machine into a "remote
    > display".
    >
    > Does such thing exist? (would prefer freeware but shareware is OK)
    >
    > Thanks!

    If there's no reason to keep Win3.11 on that machine, one
    can attempt to go to Linux if the machine's powerful enough
    (the minimum requirements for Linux are a 386 w/about 8 or
    16 MB, though the more beef one can put into the display,
    the better).

    If you *do* need to keep Win3.11 on the system for some
    reason, one can either do what the other poster has already
    suggested, or install Linux and WinE.

    If you can, install dual-boot; that way, at least, one can
    choose either or both. The main issue here is disk space.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

  4. Re: LF: X Windows (X11) implementation for Windows 3.11

    sudo rm -rf /home/The Ghost In The Machine:
    > If there's no reason to keep Win3.11 on that machine, one
    > can attempt to go to Linux if the machine's powerful enough
    > (the minimum requirements for Linux are a 386 w/about 8 or
    > 16 MB, though the more beef one can put into the display,
    > the better).

    There is, it runs an old application which doesn't run on other OS.

    > If you can, install dual-boot; that way, at least, one can
    > choose either or both. The main issue here is disk space.

    I can't, as the hard drive is too small (540MB).

    --
    []s, Renan "Wishmaster" - Canoas, RS, Brasil

    "3a lei de Murphy: Qualquer coisa que pode dar errado,
    dar@%$@%(*@*%¨(@%* Falha de segmentação"

  5. Re: LF: X Windows (X11) implementation for Windows 3.11

    sudo rm -rf /home/:

    > A long time ago, Quarterdeck Software produced DESQview/X. It is still
    > available download at http://www.chsoft.com/dv.html (see the Wikipedia
    > entry at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DESQview for comments on the
    > license terms).
    >
    > Another option is Xappeal (http://download.unesp.br/msdos/xappeal/).
    > Thie used to be shareware, but as far as I know the owning company
    > does not exist anymore. You will need a packet driver to use it (see
    > http://www.dendarii.co.uk/FAQs/dos-net.html)
    >
    > Be warned that these are rather old software! YMMV

    Will check. But I remember seeing that those both are for DOS, and I
    want something native Windows 3.11.

    I remember seeing something called "X-Win16", but now I can't find it
    anymore.

    --
    []s, Renan "Wishmaster" - Canoas, RS, Brasil

    "3a lei de Murphy: Qualquer coisa que pode dar errado,
    dar@%$@%(*@*%¨(@%* Falha de segmentação"

  6. Re: LF: X Windows (X11) implementation for Windows 3.11

    Renan wrote:
    > sudo rm -rf /home/The Ghost In The Machine:
    > > If there's no reason to keep Win3.11 on that machine, one
    > > can attempt to go to Linux if the machine's powerful enough
    > > (the minimum requirements for Linux are a 386 w/about 8 or
    > > 16 MB, though the more beef one can put into the display,
    > > the better).

    > There is, it runs an old application which doesn't run on other OS.
    >
    > > If you can, install dual-boot; that way, at least, one can
    > > choose either or both. The main issue here is disk space.

    > I can't, as the hard drive is too small (540MB).

    I guess this disk will not survive for much time. If your applicatio
    is *really* very precious and does not depend on some special
    hardware that you have installed in your computer, I'd suggest
    you to run DOS on a virtual machine (see http://www.qemu.org/
    for a good one).

    Espero que ajude

    --- Casantos

  7. Re: LF: X Windows (X11) implementation for Windows 3.11

    sudo rm -rf /home/:
    > I guess this disk will not survive for much time. If your applicatio
    > is *really* very precious and does not depend on some special
    > hardware that you have installed in your computer, I'd suggest
    > you to run DOS on a virtual machine (see http://www.qemu.org/
    > for a good one).

    Sadly, it depends on an ancient ISA card.

    --
    []s, Renan "Wishmaster" - Canoas, RS, Brasil

    "3a lei de Murphy: Qualquer coisa que pode dar errado,
    dar@%$@%(*@*%¨(@%* Falha de segmentação"

  8. Re: LF: X Windows (X11) implementation for Windows 3.11

    On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 18:27:29 +0100, Renan wrote:

    > sudo rm -rf /home/:
    >> I guess this disk will not survive for much time. If your applicatio
    >> is *really* very precious and does not depend on some special
    >> hardware that you have installed in your computer, I'd suggest
    >> you to run DOS on a virtual machine (see http://www.qemu.org/
    >> for a good one).

    > Sadly, it depends on an ancient ISA card.

    You can get USB to ISA bridges. AFAIR, ARS technologies USB2ISA product
    has Linux support.

    -Ed

    --
    (You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.) (er258)(@)(eng.cam)(.ac.uk)

    /d{def}def/f{/Times findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5/m
    {moveto}d -1 r 230 350 m 0 1 179{1 index show 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}
    for /s 15 d f pop 240 420 m 0 1 3 { 4 2 1 r sub -1 r show } for showpage

  9. Re: LF: X Windows (X11) implementation for Windows 3.11

    killall E. Rosten:
    > You can get USB to ISA bridges. AFAIR, ARS technologies USB2ISA product
    > has Linux support.

    Interesting. Thanks!

    --
    []s, Renan "Wishmaster" - Canoas, RS, Brasil

    "Tirando o que está ruim, está tudo muito bem."

  10. Re: LF: X Windows (X11) implementation for Windows 3.11

    killall Renan:
    > I remember seeing something called "X-Win16", but now I can't find it
    > anymore.

    Found it at Tucows.
    --
    []s, Renan "Wishmaster" - Canoas, RS, Brasil

    "Tirando o que está ruim, está tudo muito bem."

  11. Re: LF: X Windows (X11) implementation for Windows 3.11

    Renan> Hello,
    Renan> I am looking for a "X Windows" (X11) server for Windows 3.11, as I am
    Renan> interested in turning an old Windows 3.11 machine into a "remote
    Renan> display".

    Renan> Does such thing exist? (would prefer freeware but shareware is OK)

    Pity. It seems win 95 is the oldest MS OS that cygwin supports:
    http://x.cygwin.com
    --
    Claude

  12. Re: LF: X Windows (X11) implementation for Windows 3.11

    char *poster[] = Claude:
    > Pity. It seems win 95 is the oldest MS OS that cygwin supports:
    > http://x.cygwin.com

    Too bad

    --
    Thanks, Renan(tm) - Canoas, RS, Brazil

    "Smoking: a foul disease. Usually cured by cancer."

  13. Re: LF: X Windows (X11) implementation for Windows 3.11

    In article ,
    Renan wrote:

    >I am looking for a "X Windows" (X11) server for Windows 3.11, as I am
    >interested in turning an old Windows 3.11 machine into a "remote
    >display".
    >
    >Does such thing exist? (would prefer freeware but shareware is OK)

    Yes, it does. Look for Mi/X from Microimages.
    www.microimages.com doesn't offer the Win16 version anymore, so you'll
    have to look elsewhere. Filename is something like mix_3_0_10.exe, 5M.
    AFAIR this version was declared freeware by the company.

    Tibor Mocsar

  14. [S/OT]: Re: LF: X Windows (X11) implementation for Windows 3.11

    Renan wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am looking for a "X Windows" (X11) server for Windows 3.11, as I am
    > interested in turning an old Windows 3.11 machine into a "remote
    > display".
    >
    > Does such thing exist? (would prefer freeware but shareware is OK)
    >
    > Thanks!

    This has got me wondering: is there an X replacement for RPD/WTS?

    I am curious to know is someone has developed an X layer that
    circumvents Windows Terminal Server/Service that provides the same level
    of funcionality that a Unix based X server would.

  15. Re: [S/OT]: Re: LF: X Windows (X11) implementation for Windows 3.11

  16. Re: [S/OT]: Re: LF: X Windows (X11) implementation for Windows 3.11

    Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > Wayne wrote:
    >>I am curious to know is someone has developed an X layer that
    >>circumvents Windows Terminal Server/Service that provides the same level
    >>of funcionality that a Unix based X server would.

    > Does [Tight|Real]VNC count?

    They work for remote admin or for console access.

    What I am refering to, at least I think it is what I am refering to, is
    am implementation of XDMCP to replace RDP.

    Essentially instead of activating the Terminal Service, X is used to
    serve up the desktop on a per user basis thus allowing the same style of
    setup as though my plebs were connecting to a regular Unix
    implementation if X.

+ Reply to Thread