Ramsin Alexi wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have been asked to write a simple C program under
> solaris X windows to create a very simple dialougue box
> which includes a title and a couple of buttons.

Is this part of some course/exam, or not?

> So far I have
> searched the Sun site for relevent information but have not
> found a simple step by step example of how to create GUI
> enabled applications in C under Xwindows. Which header
> file/s do I have to include within my C code (do I need to
> include Xlib.h?) What functions would I need to call to
> create a very simple window with a title and two buttons?
> How do I link the buttons to my code in order to perform
> the required task?
>
> I would be very grateful for any ideas anyone may have about
> the above.
>
> Many thanks in advance and best regards,
>
> Alex.

It's not my area of expertise, and not really the purposes of
comp.unix.solaris, which tends to be more about the operating system
than any particular method of programming. I have copied my reply to
comp.windows.x, since that might be a lot more suitable.

You can write a trivial 'hello world' in Fortran, C, C++, Mathematica,
Ada, Pascal, Modular 2, Lisp ,,, etc etc. More important is to what
programming language to learn for the future - not what allows you to
write a hello world the quickest.

The same applies here - you would really be looking at looking one of
the libraries, for this and *future* use, such as

GTK
http://www.gtk.org

WxWindows
http://www.wxwindows.org/

Both are free, open-source and cross-platform. There are others, and
picking the best for *future* plans is the best thing to do.

I would avoid using whatever method is the fastest for the exact task
just now.

--
Dave K