General Xlib programming questions - where to find answers? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on General Xlib programming questions - where to find answers? - Xwindows ; Is this the best newsgroup for Xlib programming questions and problems? Also are there any good, fairly technical, tutorials on Xlib? I'm an experienced C programmer digging around in an existing Xlib utility and I just need a little more ...

  1. General Xlib programming questions - where to find answers?

    Is this the best newsgroup for Xlib programming questions and problems?
    Also are there any good, fairly technical, tutorials on Xlib? I'm an
    experienced C programmer digging around in an existing Xlib utility
    and I just need a little more than the Xlib manual pages give me.
    In particular I need to [re]learn about the required order for creating
    windows and the events etc. one has to wait for.

    --
    Chris Green

  2. Re: General Xlib programming questions - where to find answers?

    On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 08:15:38 +0000, usenet wrote:

    > Is this the best newsgroup for Xlib programming questions and problems?
    > Also are there any good, fairly technical, tutorials on Xlib? I'm an
    > experienced C programmer digging around in an existing Xlib utility
    > and I just need a little more than the Xlib manual pages give me.
    > In particular I need to [re]learn about the required order for creating
    > windows and the events etc. one has to wait for.

    The O'Reilly XLib Programming Manual is good, but unusually thorough,
    which makes it a little heavy going. Once you get the basic hang of X11,
    that plus "The XLib Reference Manual" are excellent books to have.

    I have a bunch of very small X11 programs on my website. They are on the
    whole very simplified, and not meant to be a tutorial on anything, but
    they generally do what they do (eg bringing up a windo and listening for
    events) in the minimum amount of code.

    http://mi.eng.cam.ac.uk/~er258/code/x11/index.html

    -Ed

    --
    (You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.) (er258)(@)(eng.cam)(.ac.uk)

    /d{def}def/f{/Times findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5/m
    {moveto}d -1 r 230 350 m 0 1 179{1 index show 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}
    for /s 15 d f pop 240 420 m 0 1 3 { 4 2 1 r sub -1 r show } for showpage

  3. Re: General Xlib programming questions - where to find answers?

    Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > usenet@isbd.co.uk writes:
    >
    > > Is this the best newsgroup for Xlib programming questions and problems?

    > Possibly.
    >
    > > Also are there any good, fairly technical, tutorials on Xlib? I'm an
    > > experienced C programmer digging around in an existing Xlib utility
    > > and I just need a little more than the Xlib manual pages give me.
    > > In particular I need to [re]learn about the required order for creating
    > > windows and the events etc. one has to wait for.

    > Look for a document titled "Xlib - C Langage X Interface", for
    > instance at www.xfree86.org/current/xlib.pdf. There are also some
    > O'Reilly books, but I haven't read them.

    Thanks for the xlib.pdf, that looks quite useful, some fairly solid
    reading there! :-)

    --
    Chris Green

  4. Re: General Xlib programming questions - where to find answers?

    E. Rosten wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 08:15:38 +0000, usenet wrote:
    >
    > > Is this the best newsgroup for Xlib programming questions and problems?
    > > Also are there any good, fairly technical, tutorials on Xlib? I'm an
    > > experienced C programmer digging around in an existing Xlib utility
    > > and I just need a little more than the Xlib manual pages give me.
    > > In particular I need to [re]learn about the required order for creating
    > > windows and the events etc. one has to wait for.

    > The O'Reilly XLib Programming Manual is good, but unusually thorough,
    > which makes it a little heavy going. Once you get the basic hang of X11,
    > that plus "The XLib Reference Manual" are excellent books to have.

    I've just ordered secondhand copies of these (couldn't justify the new
    price) so your recommendation is encouraging.

    > I have a bunch of very small X11 programs on my website. They are on the
    > whole very simplified, and not meant to be a tutorial on anything, but
    > they generally do what they do (eg bringing up a windo and listening for
    > events) in the minimum amount of code.
    >
    > http://mi.eng.cam.ac.uk/~er258/code/x11/index.html

    Thanks, they may well be useful too. I suspect that the program I am
    modifying doesn't do things the right way really and thus trying to
    change it is fraught with problems. The parts of the program where I
    *do* know how it should be done were somewhat messy so I suspect that
    the parts that I know less about are much the same way. This is no
    real reflection on the original programmers, it's one of those
    programs that has 'just grown' I think.

    --
    Chris Green

  5. Re: General Xlib programming questions - where to find answers?

    usenet@isbd.co.uk wrote:
    > Is this the best newsgroup for Xlib programming questions and problems?
    > Also are there any good, fairly technical, tutorials on Xlib? I'm an
    > experienced C programmer digging around in an existing Xlib utility
    > and I just need a little more than the Xlib manual pages give me.
    > In particular I need to [re]learn about the required order for creating
    > windows and the events etc. one has to wait for.

    This best book i got is "XLIB Programming Manual"

    "http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1565920023/qid=1125812188/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-9674957-6772653?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

    There are also companion xlib reference manuals.

    Also: http://tronche.com/gui/x/

+ Reply to Thread