Display and Screen questions - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Display and Screen questions - Xwindows ; Hi, I'm just starting out programming with X and I have a few questions about using multiple displays/screens. For example; If I open a connection to :0.0 can I create a window on :0.1? Do I have to open a ...

  1. Display and Screen questions

    Hi,
    I'm just starting out programming with X and I have a few questions
    about using multiple displays/screens. For example;

    If I open a connection to :0.0 can I create a window on :0.1? Do I
    have to open a new connection? What about multiple video cards. If
    I have two dualhead cards, does that mean I have four screens and
    one display? Two displays, each with two screens?

    Anyway, I hope someone can clear this up for me.

    - tgwtf

  2. Re: Display and Screen questions

    tgwtf wrote:
    > I'm just starting out programming with X and I have a few questions
    > about using multiple displays/screens. For example;
    >
    > If I open a connection to :0.0 can I create a window on :0.1? Do I
    > have to open a new connection? What about multiple video cards. If
    > I have two dualhead cards, does that mean I have four screens and
    > one display? Two displays, each with two screens?

    One X11 connection can be used to create windows on multiple screens.
    Code can inquire the number of screens with ScreenCount and find
    resources for a particular screen with "screen_number" parameters of
    functions like RootWindow and DefaultVisual.

    The mapping from graphics cards to Xservers and screens is flexible.
    It is possible to have each card as a screen, or to use configurations
    such as xinerama to make multiple cards look like a single screen to
    clients. See http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Xinerama-HOWTO/ for more on that.
    It is possible to have more than one display by running multiple X
    servers on a system. It is not common because multiple X servers don't
    normally share a single mouse and keyboard.

    --
    Mike Stroyan, mike.stroyan@hp.com

+ Reply to Thread