Does anyone still make an X-terminal? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Does anyone still make an X-terminal? - Xwindows ; Hi, Having used NCD/Tek X-terminals for a good while, I'm looking to get some more... But NCD don't seem to be in business anymore. Does anyone know of an X-terminal manufacturer? I don't really want to use a PC as ...

  1. Does anyone still make an X-terminal?

    Hi,

    Having used NCD/Tek X-terminals for a good while, I'm looking to get some
    more... But NCD don't seem to be in business anymore.

    Does anyone know of an X-terminal manufacturer? I don't really want to use a
    PC as I don't want the admin overhead of dealing with viruses, scandisk or
    unhelpful configuration changes.

    Any and all suggestions gratefully received. Thanks,
    Andy.

  2. Re: Does anyone still make an X-terminal?

    "Andy Lennard" writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Having used NCD/Tek X-terminals for a good while, I'm looking to get some
    > more... But NCD don't seem to be in business anymore.
    >
    > Does anyone know of an X-terminal manufacturer? I don't really want
    > to use a PC as I don't want the admin overhead of dealing with
    > viruses, scandisk or unhelpful configuration changes.

    You could use a diskless PC running Linux or BSD over read-only NFS.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@inprovide.com

  3. Re: Does anyone still make an X-terminal?

    Andy Lennard wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Having used NCD/Tek X-terminals for a good while, I'm looking to get some
    > more... But NCD don't seem to be in business anymore.
    >
    > Does anyone know of an X-terminal manufacturer? I don't really want to use a
    > PC as I don't want the admin overhead of dealing with viruses, scandisk or
    > unhelpful configuration changes.
    >
    > Any and all suggestions gratefully received. Thanks,
    > Andy.

    Doesn't Sun build these kind of things anymore?

    Hans

  4. Re: Does anyone still make an X-terminal?

    Andy Lennard wrote:
    >> Does anyone know of an X-terminal manufacturer? I don't really want to
    >> use a PC as I don't want the admin overhead of dealing with viruses,
    >> scandisk or unhelpful configuration changes.

    Hans Fleischmann replied:
    > Doesn't Sun build these kind of things anymore?

    Sun certainly has the Sun Ray, though I think it's more than just an
    X-terminal. However, my impression is that it would meet his admin
    requirement of no viruses, no disk, no local config changes, etc.
    -WBE

  5. Re: Does anyone still make an X-terminal?

    wbe @ubeblock.psr.com.invalid (Winston) writes:

    > Andy Lennard wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know of an X-terminal manufacturer? I don't really want to
    >>> use a PC as I don't want the admin overhead of dealing with viruses,
    >>> scandisk or unhelpful configuration changes.

    > Hans Fleischmann replied:
    >> Doesn't Sun build these kind of things anymore?

    > Sun certainly has the Sun Ray, though I think it's more than just an
    > X-terminal. However, my impression is that it would meet his admin
    > requirement of no viruses, no disk, no local config changes, etc.

    The Sun Rays are similar in principle to an X terminal, but they use a
    different protocol, and require special server software.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@inprovide.com

  6. Re: Does anyone still make an X-terminal?

    Andy Lennard wrote:

    > Does anyone know of an X-terminal manufacturer? I don't really want to use
    > a PC as I don't want the admin overhead of dealing with viruses, scandisk
    > or unhelpful configuration changes.

    A couple of ideas...

    First, is this for a PC? If you only need one additional terminal,
    consider adding an extra keyboard, video card, and mouse to your main
    computer. You can configure XFree86 to use the new hardware as a
    second X workstation, independent of the main keyboard/video/mouse.
    You might even have the necessary components in your junk pile, in
    which case this is a *free* X terminal.

    Second, look at "thin clients" such as the Maxspeed MaxTerm-3300.
    It's a little diskless Linux computer with X, Mozilla, a terminal
    emulator, and a little setup program. It also has a print server
    built in. I haven't used this model myself, though I did try an
    earlier model and it worked fine.

    http://maxspeed.com/products/products.aspx?ID=83

+ Reply to Thread