Tek window in xterm problem in Mac OS X Tiger - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Tek window in xterm problem in Mac OS X Tiger - Xwindows ; Hello, I recently upgraded from OS X 10.39 to 10.4 (Tiger) and am experiencing several problems. Here is problem number 1: Bring up X11 and in the xterm window hold down Option/Control while clicking the mouse. A window will open; ...

  1. Tek window in xterm problem in Mac OS X Tiger

    Hello,

    I recently upgraded from OS X 10.39 to 10.4 (Tiger) and am experiencing
    several problems. Here is problem number 1:

    Bring up X11 and in the xterm window hold down Option/Control while
    clicking the mouse. A window will open; move the mouse arrow down to
    "Switch to Tek Mode". The tekronix (Tek) window will open and the
    cursor will switch to that window. In OS 10.3x one simply can enter
    text on the command line see exactly what you entered. Not so with OS
    10.4. Each character appears as a small dashed square.

    Please verify that you have this problem also.

    Donald Gudehus

  2. Re: Tek window in xterm problem in Mac OS X Tiger

    In comp.sys.mac.system Donald H. Gudehus wrote:
    > Hello,

    > I recently upgraded from OS X 10.39 to 10.4 (Tiger) and am experiencing
    > several problems. Here is problem number 1:

    > Bring up X11 and in the xterm window hold down Option/Control while
    > clicking the mouse. A window will open; move the mouse arrow down to
    > "Switch to Tek Mode". The tekronix (Tek) window will open and the
    > cursor will switch to that window. In OS 10.3x one simply can enter
    > text on the command line see exactly what you entered. Not so with OS
    > 10.4. Each character appears as a small dashed square.

    That sounds like a font problem.
    (which wouldn't be an xterm bug per se).

    However, unrelated to that, tek mode was broken for a while last year.
    What does "xterm -v" show?

    xterm supports ANSI color, VT220 emulation and UTF-8
    There's an faq at
    http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html
    ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm/

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  3. Re: Tek window in xterm problem in Mac OS X Tiger

    The version is XFree86 4.3.99.903(184)

    Thomas Dickey wrote:

    > In comp.sys.mac.system Donald H. Gudehus wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > I recently upgraded from OS X 10.39 to 10.4 (Tiger) and am experiencing
    > > several problems. Here is problem number 1:

    > > Bring up X11 and in the xterm window hold down Option/Control while
    > > clicking the mouse. A window will open; move the mouse arrow down to
    > > "Switch to Tek Mode". The tekronix (Tek) window will open and the
    > > cursor will switch to that window. In OS 10.3x one simply can enter
    > > text on the command line see exactly what you entered. Not so with OS
    > > 10.4. Each character appears as a small dashed square.

    > That sounds like a font problem.
    > (which wouldn't be an xterm bug per se).
    >
    > However, unrelated to that, tek mode was broken for a while last year.
    > What does "xterm -v" show?
    >
    > xterm supports ANSI color, VT220 emulation and UTF-8
    > There's an faq at
    > http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html
    > ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm/
    >
    > --
    > Thomas E. Dickey
    > http://invisible-island.net
    > ftp://invisible-island.net

  4. Re: Tek window in xterm problem in Mac OS X Tiger

    In comp.sys.mac.system Donald H. Gudehus wrote:
    > The version is XFree86 4.3.99.903(184)

    Then it doesn't sound like any of the bugs I've encountered.
    The one I had in mind was introduced later:

    Patch #191 - 2004/6/6 - XFree86 4.4.99.7

    * reorganize ptydata.c to use one input buffer shared between the
    VTxxx and tek4014 emulators. In the new scheme, UTF-8 decoding is
    performed on characters as they are needed by the state machine
    rather than on buffers as they are read.

    see
    http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.log.html

    "small dashed square" sounds like a problem with the fonts - I'm not
    sure what, though.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net