Waking an X server up from power save mode - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Waking an X server up from power save mode - Xwindows ; Hi All, Apologies if this is OT, which I suspect it is... When running XFree86 or Xorg on my x86 Linux PC (SuSE 9.1), after the screen-saver has been active for a while, the screen goes into power save mode. ...

  1. Waking an X server up from power save mode

    Hi All,
    Apologies if this is OT, which I suspect it is...

    When running XFree86 or Xorg on my x86 Linux PC (SuSE 9.1), after the
    screen-saver has been active for a while, the screen goes into power
    save mode.

    Is there some way of waking up the screen programatically?

    The only way I can find of waking up the screen is by physically
    waggling the mouse or pressing a key, and I don't want to attach a
    robot arm to my PC to achieve this...

    Using XTEST to move the mouse pointer or press keys doesn't seem to
    have any effect, although it does cancel the screen-saver :|

    Thanks in advance!
    Otto

  2. Re: Waking an X server up from power save mode

    "Otto" writes:

    >Hi All,
    >Apologies if this is OT, which I suspect it is...

    >When running XFree86 or Xorg on my x86 Linux PC (SuSE 9.1), after the
    >screen-saver has been active for a while, the screen goes into power
    >save mode.

    >Is there some way of waking up the screen programatically?

    >The only way I can find of waking up the screen is by physically
    >waggling the mouse or pressing a key, and I don't want to attach a
    >robot arm to my PC to achieve this...

    >Using XTEST to move the mouse pointer or press keys doesn't seem to
    >have any effect, although it does cancel the screen-saver :|

    Perhaps this works:
    xset dpms force on

    Casper

  3. Re: Waking an X server up from power save mode

    Casper, you are a prince among men

+ Reply to Thread