mousewheel in remote xterms - Xwindows

This is a discussion on mousewheel in remote xterms - Xwindows ; Hi All, My mousewheel works fine in local xterms. But when I lauch a remote xterm using something like: "ssh -X rouble@example.com xterm -j -sb -sl 7000 -geometry 80x24", the mousewheel does not work. The xterm just beeps when the ...

  1. mousewheel in remote xterms

    Hi All,

    My mousewheel works fine in local xterms.

    But when I lauch a remote xterm using something like:
    "ssh -X rouble@example.com xterm -j -sb -sl 7000 -geometry 80x24",

    the mousewheel does not work. The xterm just beeps when the mousewheel
    is used to scroll.

    I have these magical lines that I got from
    http://colas.nahaboo.net/mouse-wheel-scroll/#xterm in my .Xdefaults on
    example.com:

    XTerm

    Wheel will scroll the saved output lines. Add to your ~/.Xdefaults

    !# Scrolling on wheel mouse: half a page normally, line per line
    with shift
    XTerm.vt100.translations: #override\n\
    Shift,:scroll-back(1,line)\n\
    Shift,:scroll-forw(1,line)\n\
    Ctrl,:scroll-back(1,page)\n\
    Ctrl,:scroll-forw(1,page)\n\
    ,:scroll-back(1,halfpage)\n\
    ,:scroll-forw(1,halfpage)\n\

    !# In the scrollbar we map buttons 5 & 4 to 1 and 2 otherwise,
    core dump
    !# This will move proportionnaly to cursor position but we dont
    know how to
    !# program the same exact behavior as in the text widget.
    XTerm.vt100.Scrollbar.translations: #override\n\
    : StartScroll(Forward)\n\
    : StartScroll(Backward)\n\

    Any input is appreciated.

    TIA,
    rouble

  2. Re: mousewheel in remote xterms

    rouble@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi All,

    > My mousewheel works fine in local xterms.

    > But when I lauch a remote xterm using something like:
    > "ssh -X rouble@example.com xterm -j -sb -sl 7000 -geometry 80x24",

    > the mousewheel does not work. The xterm just beeps when the mousewheel
    > is used to scroll.

    > I have these magical lines that I got from
    > http://colas.nahaboo.net/mouse-wheel-scroll/#xterm in my .Xdefaults on
    > example.com:

    It sounds as if your remote xterm isn't using the information from the
    ..Xdefaults (offhand I'm not sure what). XFree86 xterm has had those
    translations as part of its default for some time, so you can actually
    have the same problem on local systems too, e.g., if you're using an
    old xterm (such as the vendor's on Solaris) vs Linux/FreeBSD/etc.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  3. Re: mousewheel in remote xterms

    Thomas Dickey writes:

    >It sounds as if your remote xterm isn't using the information from the
    >.Xdefaults (offhand I'm not sure what). XFree86 xterm has had those
    >translations as part of its default for some time, so you can actually
    >have the same problem on local systems too, e.g., if you're using an
    >old xterm (such as the vendor's on Solaris) vs Linux/FreeBSD/etc.

    It's not a function of the XTerm, only if its configuration.o

    (Also, Solaris xterm understand scroll wheels just fine)

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  4. Re: mousewheel in remote xterms

    Thomas Dickey writes in comp.windows.x:
    |It sounds as if your remote xterm isn't using the information from the
    |.Xdefaults (offhand I'm not sure what). XFree86 xterm has had those
    |translations as part of its default for some time, so you can actually
    |have the same problem on local systems too, e.g., if you're using an
    |old xterm (such as the vendor's on Solaris) vs Linux/FreeBSD/etc.

    The xterm app-defaults shipped with Solaris 10 or Solaris 9 with the
    Xsun wheel mouse update also include the button 4 & 5 translations by
    default.

    Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
    http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~alanc/ * http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/

  5. Re: mousewheel in remote xterms

    Alan Coopersmith wrote:
    > Thomas Dickey writes in comp.windows.x:
    > |It sounds as if your remote xterm isn't using the information from the
    > |.Xdefaults (offhand I'm not sure what). XFree86 xterm has had those
    > |translations as part of its default for some time, so you can actually
    > |have the same problem on local systems too, e.g., if you're using an
    > |old xterm (such as the vendor's on Solaris) vs Linux/FreeBSD/etc.

    > The xterm app-defaults shipped with Solaris 10 or Solaris 9 with the
    > Xsun wheel mouse update also include the button 4 & 5 translations by
    > default.

    ok - then it's relatively unlikely that it would be omitted in that case.

    What I had in mind regarding the beep was this fragment at the end of the
    default translations:

    !Lock Ctrl opup-menu(fontMenu) \n\
    !Lock Ctrl @Num_Lock opup-menu(fontMenu) \n\
    ! @Num_Lock Ctrl opup-menu(fontMenu) \n\
    ~Ctrl ~Meta :start-extend() \n\
    ~Meta :select-extend() \n\
    :select-end(PRIMARY, CUT_BUFFER0) \n\
    :bell(0)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    which is essentially saying that the unrecognized button 4/5 from the
    wheel mouse could do that.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  6. Re: mousewheel in remote xterms

    Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    > Thomas Dickey writes:

    >>It sounds as if your remote xterm isn't using the information from the
    >>.Xdefaults (offhand I'm not sure what). XFree86 xterm has had those
    >>translations as part of its default for some time, so you can actually
    >>have the same problem on local systems too, e.g., if you're using an
    >>old xterm (such as the vendor's on Solaris) vs Linux/FreeBSD/etc.

    > It's not a function of the XTerm, only if its configuration.o

    Actually it's both. The beeps would be from an unrecognized event.

    But to make it useful (other than mapping the wheel to one of the
    predefined actions - which is only half a solution), it really should
    be able to send escape sequences to the application.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  7. Re: mousewheel in remote xterms

    Thanks for all the responses guys.

    I am not sure I follow what I am doing wrong, or what I should do to
    rectify the situation.

    How do I get the xterm to honor the settings in the .Xdefaults file ?

    fyi, from my earlier example, the server that the xterm is being
    launched on is a SunOS 5.6 box.

    cheers
    rouble

  8. Re: mousewheel in remote xterms

    rouble@gmail.com writes:

    >Thanks for all the responses guys.

    >I am not sure I follow what I am doing wrong, or what I should do to
    >rectify the situation.

    >How do I get the xterm to honor the settings in the .Xdefaults file ?

    >fyi, from my earlier example, the server that the xterm is being
    >launched on is a SunOS 5.6 box.

    Ah yes, not sure if that can be made to work. Does
    xev when launch on the same system report these buttons.

    Casper

+ Reply to Thread