Displaying over xdm login widget - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Displaying over xdm login widget - Xwindows ; This is a RedHat 9 machine. I need to remote execute an X app on a machine. I want the display to go to the remote machine. The remote machine is running xdm with the xlogin widget. Here's what I ...

  1. Displaying over xdm login widget

    This is a RedHat 9 machine.

    I need to remote execute an X app on a machine. I want the display
    to go to the remote machine. The remote machine is running xdm with
    the xlogin widget.

    Here's what I did:
    -Logged-in remotely to machine using ssh
    -exported DISPLAY to that remote mahcine (DISPLAY=remotemachine:0.0)
    -executed my X app

    Got error:
    Xlib: connection to "remotemachine:0.0" refuse dby server
    Xlib: No protocol specified

    Error: Can't open display: remotemachine:0

    Questions:
    1- What am I doing wrong here?

    2- If xdm solution is provided, what would be solution for gdm? kdm?

    Thanks to all!

  2. Re: Displaying over xdm login widget

    A Moore wrote:

    > This is a RedHat 9 machine.
    >
    > I need to remote execute an X app on a machine. I want the display
    > to go to the remote machine. The remote machine is running xdm with
    > the xlogin widget.
    >
    > Here's what I did:
    > -Logged-in remotely to machine using ssh
    > -exported DISPLAY to that remote mahcine (DISPLAY=remotemachine:0.0)
    > -executed my X app
    >
    > Got error:
    > Xlib: connection to "remotemachine:0.0" refuse dby server
    > Xlib: No protocol specified
    >
    > Error: Can't open display: remotemachine:0
    >
    > Questions:
    > 1- What am I doing wrong here?
    >
    > 2- If xdm solution is provided, what would be solution for gdm? kdm?
    >
    > Thanks to all!

    After logging in, you need to specify that you allow your machine to
    open a window on the remote. Try "xhost + xxx" where xxx is the host
    name of the machine you are logging on from. Be sure to remove the
    permission after you are finished (xhost -)
    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow
    From: "Ken Morano"
    Subject: Re: Where is control of print area in Excel 2003?
    Sender: nntp@news.boeing.com (Boeing NNTP News Access)
    Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 14:19:15 GMT

    Q,
    Thanks for your response but I wasn't clear. My challenge is to control
    printing of Excel pages using the mobile version of Office 2003. This is the
    version I have on my ipaq. There is no "File menu/Print Area/Set Print
    Area" option. I have to use a separate printing application to print
    documents. Does that make sense or am I missing something?

    "Quaoar" wrote in message
    > Ken Morano wrote:
    > > I am using an ipaq 4705 with Office 2003 with an HP 6840 printer.
    > >
    > > When I print an excel spreadsheet to my printer (I've only tried the
    > > Wi-Fi interface), the printer doesn't seem to know when to stop. It
    > > prints page after page.
    > >
    > > How can I define a print range to limit printing?

    > File menu/Print Area/Set Print Area. Help menu is on the right.

  3. Re: Displaying over xdm login widget

    local% xhost +remote
    local% ssh remote
    (login/password, etc)
    remote% setenv DISPLAY local:0 (for csh)
    remote% DISPLAY=local:0; export DISPLAY (for sh/ksh/bash)
    remote% x-app

    Or, better yet:

    local% ssh -X remote
    (login/password, etc)