Switching bash/xterm shell b/w full-screen console view and x window modes - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Switching bash/xterm shell b/w full-screen console view and x window modes - Xwindows ; Hi, I read a lot of docs, mans, infos, ..., and searched usenet but couldn't find answer to this simple question. How do I switch my bash/xterm shell between full-screen text OR character OR console mode (just like the one ...

  1. Switching bash/xterm shell b/w full-screen console view and x window modes

    Hi,

    I read a lot of docs, mans, infos, ..., and searched usenet but
    couldn't find answer to this simple question.

    How do I switch my bash/xterm shell between full-screen text OR
    character OR console mode (just like the one shown during linux startup
    with so many green [OK] [OK]'s against startup tasks scrolling by) and
    normal x-window mode??? (Just like the way I switch between full-sceen
    and windowed DOS box in my Windows 9x/NT/2k/XP using the "Alt-Enter"
    key)

    I'm using RedHat linux 8 with Gnome 2.0+ and xterm and bash 2.05 on a
    PIII-667.

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: Switching bash/xterm shell b/w full-screen console view and x window modes

    On 28 Dec 2004 02:28:49 -0800, you_never_know_whos@yahoo.com
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I read a lot of docs, mans, infos, ..., and searched usenet but
    > couldn't find answer to this simple question.
    >
    > How do I switch my bash/xterm shell between full-screen text OR
    > character OR console mode (just like the one shown during linux
    > startup with so many green [OK] [OK]'s against startup tasks
    > scrolling by) and normal x-window mode??? (Just like the way I
    > switch between full-sceen and windowed DOS box in my Windows
    > 9x/NT/2k/XP using the "Alt-Enter" key)
    >
    > I'm using RedHat linux 8 with Gnome 2.0+ and xterm and bash
    > 2.05 on a PIII-667.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    X is started in one tty, displays in another (usually 5), and if
    you want to have access to a plain tty in textmode, you'll have
    to login to yet another.

    On my Debian box, Ctrl-Alt-F[1-9] moves one between ttys while
    X is up, just Alt-F[1-9] when it isn't.

    As for the third mode you refer to above, I have no idea what
    you are talking about. This isn't windoze/dos, it is Linux.

    If you are looking for a more usable console (textmode), then try
    the window manager (tty multiplexer) screen. Man screen.

    AC

  3. Re: Switching bash/xterm shell b/w full-screen console view and x window modes

    Alan Connor wrote:
    > On my Debian box, Ctrl-Alt-F[1-9] moves one between ttys while
    > X is up, just Alt-F[1-9] when it isn't.
    >
    > AC

    Thanks for assistance, I tried it and it worked. On my system,
    Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or F2 and so on) takes to text-mode and Alt-F7 takes back
    to X-Window mode. But I couldn't understand why so many F# keys given
    to this kind of switching and what are ttys.

+ Reply to Thread