Motif is on top of Xt - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Motif is on top of Xt - Xwindows ; Hello!! I'm reading in a document about Graphical User Interface Programming and here they say the following. For example, there are Motif look-and-feel widget on top of the Xt, InterViews and Amulet intrinsics. Although they look and operate the same(so ...

  1. Motif is on top of Xt

    Hello!!

    I'm reading in a document about Graphical User Interface Programming and
    here they say the following. For example, there are Motif look-and-feel
    widget on top of the Xt, InterViews and Amulet intrinsics. Although they
    look and operate the same(so would be indistinguishable to the end user),
    they are implemented quite differently, and have completely different
    procedural interfaces for the programmer.

    Here is one thing that sound strange to me and that is if you use Motif on
    top of Xt or InterView the procedural interface should not be different as I
    think.

    //Tony

  2. Re: Motif is on top of Xt

    Tony Johansson wrote:

    > Hello!!
    >
    > I'm reading in a document about Graphical User Interface Programming and
    > here they say the following. For example, there are Motif look-and-feel
    > widget on top of the Xt, InterViews and Amulet intrinsics. Although they
    > look and operate the same(so would be indistinguishable to the end user),
    > they are implemented quite differently, and have completely different
    > procedural interfaces for the programmer.
    >
    > Here is one thing that sound strange to me and that is if you use Motif on
    > top of Xt or InterView the procedural interface should not be different as I
    > think.
    >
    > //Tony

    What the user sees (i.e. the look and feel) is independent of what the
    programmer works with. From the user's perspective there may be no
    difference at all but from the developer's perspective the toolkit used
    can be very different.

    For example, at the core "Motif" refers to a user interface
    specification. There is also a standard API (i.e. Xm) that implements
    a widget toolkit that looks like what "Motif" is supposed to look like
    to the user. But if you build a libXm2 with a completely different API
    but still conforms to the Motif user interface spec then your toolkit
    is "Motif".

    -- ced

    --
    Chuck Dillon