What is window system interface and application-specific parts - Xwindows

This is a discussion on What is window system interface and application-specific parts - Xwindows ; Hello! I'm reading in a document about Graphical User Interface Programming and I wonder if you out there understand the last part of this text where I have written "start here" . More exactly what is application-specific parts of the ...

  1. What is window system interface and application-specific parts

    Hello!

    I'm reading in a document about Graphical User Interface Programming and I
    wonder if you out there understand the last part of this text where I have
    written "start here" .
    More exactly what is application-specific parts of the interface?
    What is window system interface ? Is win32 a window system interface!

    A windowing system is a software package that helps the user monitor and
    control different contexts by separating them physically onto different
    parts of one or more display screens [Myers 1988b]. Although most of today's
    systems provide toolkits on top of the windowing systems, as will be
    explained below, toolkits generally only address the drawing of widgets such
    as buttons, menus and scroll bars.
    Start here:
    Thus, when the programmer wants to draw application-specific parts of the
    interface and allow the user to manipulate these, the window system
    interface must be used directly. Therefore, the windowing system's
    programming interface has significant impact on most user interface
    programmers.

    //Tony

  2. Re: What is window system interface and application-specific parts

    "Tony Johansson" writes:

    > More exactly what is application-specific parts of the interface?

    They are the parts that are not implemented purely with toolkit
    widgets. For example, in an image manipulation program, they
    would include the area that displays the picture being edited,
    because that needs to respond to mouse events in a manner that
    depends on the selected tool, and toolkit authors cannot be
    expected to implement a canvas widget that supports all
    imaginable tools.

    > What is window system interface ? Is win32 a window system interface!

    Win32 includes a window system interface but also many other
    facilities. Somebody in a Windows-specific newsgroup may be able
    to name the libraries that make up its window system interface.

+ Reply to Thread