Xnest and German Keyboard Layout - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Xnest and German Keyboard Layout - Xwindows ; Hi there, I am using Xnest to connect to other boxes running xdm etc. "Xnest -query worf :1" gives me a xdm loggin. German "Umlauts" like work fine but any Special Character like "Pipe" | or "Open ...

  1. Xnest and German Keyboard Layout

    Hi there,

    I am using Xnest to connect to other boxes running xdm etc.

    "Xnest -query worf :1" gives me a xdm loggin. German "Umlauts" like
    work fine but any Special Character like "Pipe" | or "Open Square"
    [ do not work. In general all Keys created with + do not
    work.

    Xnest says something about -xkbmap "map to use" but I cannot figure
    out how this is done. for example :

    lvmbi@worf:/~ > Xnest -query worf :1 -xkbmap xfree86
    Error opening keymap file xfree86, reverting to defaults

    or

    lvmbi@worf:/~ > Xnest -query worf :1 -xkbdir /usr/lib/X11/xkb/rules
    -xkbdb xfree86
    Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

    does not work either. Pls can somebody give me an example how to get
    the correct keymap it should be pc104(de) and how to start Xnest with
    that.

    As a try I started Xnest with

    lvmbi@worf:/~ >Xnest -query worf :1 -xkbdir /usr/lib/X11/xkb/rules
    -xkbdb xfree86 -xkbmap "de(pc104)"
    sh: line 1: /usr/lib/X11/xkb/rules/xkbcomp: Datei oder Verzeichnis
    nicht gefunden
    sh: line 1: /usr/lib/X11/xkb/rules/xkbcomp: Datei oder Verzeichnis
    nicht gefunden
    Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
    Error opening keymap file de(pc104), reverting to defaults

    I have no idea whats going on.

    Regards

    Michael

  2. Re: Xnest and German Keyboard Layout

    michael wrote:
    >Hi there,
    >
    >I am using Xnest to connect to other boxes running xdm etc.
    >
    >"Xnest -query worf :1" gives me a xdm loggin. German "Umlauts" like
    > work fine but any Special Character like "Pipe" | or "Open Square"
    >[ do not work. In general all Keys created with + do not
    >work.
    >
    >Xnest says something about -xkbmap "map to use" but I cannot figure
    >out how this is done. for example :

    >lvmbi@worf:/~ > Xnest -query worf :1 -xkbmap xfree86
    >Error opening keymap file xfree86, reverting to defaults

    [snip]

    You probably need Xnext -xkbmap xfree86(de), but I have a different
    suggestion.

    Xnest -query worf :1 -noloadxkb &
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp :0 :1

    will copy the map from display 0, hopefully making the Xnest server
    operate identically to the main server. For example, there is no
    need to run xmodmap on the Xnest server since any .xmodmap definitions
    would be copied by xkbcomp.

    There is a question of when you should run xkbcomp since the xdm
    login may well do some fiddling with keymaps.

+ Reply to Thread