X11-Environment settings and ssh-connection - Xwindows

This is a discussion on X11-Environment settings and ssh-connection - Xwindows ; Hello folks, if I connect via ssh (X11-forwarding enabled) from one unix-box (which runs the X-Server) to another and start an X-client on the remote machine, from where does the client application get the X11-relevant environment settings, in this case ...

  1. X11-Environment settings and ssh-connection

    Hello folks,

    if I connect via ssh (X11-forwarding enabled) from one unix-box (which
    runs the X-Server) to another and start an X-client on the remote
    machine, from where does the client application get the X11-relevant
    environment settings, in this case the variable XFILESEARCHPATH ?

    My problem is the following: I connect to a unix-box from a machine
    running the X-Server, start the client in question and it works fine.
    If I now run a new dtterm from the control panel connect to a different
    host and run the same application´, this application seems to fail
    since the setting of XFILESEARCHPATH is the same as for the other
    instance of the application on this other machine, which should not be
    since the pathes for the app-defaults are different on both machines.
    Is it possible that the info about XFILESEARCHPATH is passed to a newly
    started client via the X-Server ?

    Interestingly: If the machine from which the ssh-connection is
    initiated is not the box running the X-Server both clients seem to
    "know" about the correct X-Environment and work fine.
    Any idea ?

    Cheers

    Bernd Wegener

  2. Re: X11-Environment settings and ssh-connection

    bernd wrote:

    > Hello folks,
    >
    > if I connect via ssh (X11-forwarding enabled) from one unix-box (which
    > runs the X-Server) to another and start an X-client on the remote
    > machine, from where does the client application get the X11-relevant
    > environment settings, in this case the variable XFILESEARCHPATH ?
    >
    > My problem is the following: I connect to a unix-box from a machine
    > running the X-Server, start the client in question and it works fine.
    > If I now run a new dtterm from the control panel connect to a different
    > host and run the same application´, this application seems to fail
    > since the setting of XFILESEARCHPATH is the same as for the other
    > instance of the application on this other machine, which should not be
    > since the pathes for the app-defaults are different on both machines.
    > Is it possible that the info about XFILESEARCHPATH is passed to a newly
    > started client via the X-Server ?
    >
    > Interestingly: If the machine from which the ssh-connection is
    > initiated is not the box running the X-Server both clients seem to
    > "know" about the correct X-Environment and work fine.
    > Any idea ?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Bernd Wegener

    The value of XFILESEARCHPATH is only meaningful on the client machine
    (i.e., where the program is actually executing), not the server (where
    it is displaying). The server's environment is irrelevant. Consider the
    case when the server is just an X terminal and doesn't even have a
    directory structure.
    --
    Fred L. Kleinschmidt
    Boeing Associate Technical Fellow