What program is talking with Xlib - Xwindows

This is a discussion on What program is talking with Xlib - Xwindows ; Hello experts! I'm talking about the X window system here. As the Xlib does not interact directly with the hardware. Xlib is talking to some program that interact directly with the hardware. The program that is interacting directly with the ...

  1. What program is talking with Xlib

    Hello experts!

    I'm talking about the X window system here.

    As the Xlib does not interact directly with the hardware.
    Xlib is talking to some program that interact directly with the hardware.

    The program that is interacting directly with the hardware could it for
    example be the eXcursion or hummingbird because these are X-server programs.

    //Tony

  2. Re: What program is talking with Xlib

    "Tony Johansson" writes:

    > Hello experts!
    >
    > I'm talking about the X window system here.
    >
    > As the Xlib does not interact directly with the hardware.
    > Xlib is talking to some program that interact directly with the hardware.
    >
    > The program that is interacting directly with the hardware could it for
    > example be the eXcursion or hummingbird because these are X-server programs.

    Xlib (or any other X client (not that there are many)) talks to an X
    server. Unix systems usually come with an X server. Linux and the
    BSDs typically use XFree86.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@inprovide.com

  3. Re: What program is talking with Xlib

    Hello!

    You didn't answer my question. Who is talking to the hardware.
    If you for example is using win32 on a PC these API calls is interacting
    directly with the hardware.

    So have you any ide' who is interacting with the hardware if you use
    X-window system because I know that the xlib does not interact directly with
    the hardware.

    //Tony

    "Måns Rullgård" skrev i meddelandet
    > "Tony Johansson" writes:
    >
    >> Hello experts!
    >>
    >> I'm talking about the X window system here.
    >>
    >> As the Xlib does not interact directly with the hardware.
    >> Xlib is talking to some program that interact directly with the hardware.
    >>
    >> The program that is interacting directly with the hardware could it for
    >> example be the eXcursion or hummingbird because these are X-server
    >> programs.

    > Xlib (or any other X client (not that there are many)) talks to an X
    > server. Unix systems usually come with an X server. Linux and the
    > BSDs typically use XFree86.
    >
    > --
    > Måns Rullgård
    > mru@inprovide.com

  4. Re: What program is talking with Xlib

    Tony Johansson wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > You didn't answer my question. Who is talking to the hardware.
    > If you for example is using win32 on a PC these API calls is interacting
    > directly with the hardware.
    >
    > So have you any ide' who is interacting with the hardware if you use
    > X-window system because I know that the xlib does not interact directly with
    > the hardware.

    You didnt really try to understand the answer. Xlib talks to the X
    server, and the X-server talks to the hardware.

    --
    Michel Bardiaux
    Peaktime Belgium S.A. Bd. du Souverain, 191 B-1160 Bruxelles

  5. Re: What program is talking with Xlib

    Tony Johansson wrote:
    > You didn't answer my question. Who is talking to the hardware.
    > If you for example is using win32 on a PC these API calls is interacting
    > directly with the hardware.
    >
    > So have you any ide' who is interacting with the hardware if you use
    > X-window system because I know that the xlib does not interact directly with
    > the hardware.

    I beg to differ. The person who responded did in fact answer
    your question. The X Window System is a client-server
    architecture; Xlib is the library that clients use to talk
    to the server. The server contains device drivers.

    Yes the client-server terminology is slightly strange in
    this context because normally we like to think of our
    desktop computers being "the client" and some larger
    computer somewhere else as being "the server". But in
    a functional sense, it is the application (using Xlib)
    who requests services (display stuff, provide user's
    input keystrokes and mouse movements) of the display
    server. Hence the thing that writes to your screen is
    the "X server".

    Within a Windows or MacOS system, there might be an
    intervening layer; the X server may do its interaction
    with the screen and input devices by calling the host
    operating system. That is because the host operating
    system has its own graphics going on at the same time.
    Under systems like Unix, there isn't typically another
    graphical environment already, so the X server provides
    all of the device interfaces. (Actually the keyboard
    and mouse interfaces probably go through system device
    drivers that are set up in /dev and would be used by
    the OS even if X were not present, but there's typically
    no general graphics interface built into the OS itself.)

    Hope this elaboration helps.

    --
    Peter N. Schweitzer (MS 954, U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, VA 20192)
    (703) 648-6533 FAX: (703) 648-6252 email: pschweitzer@usgs.gov

  6. Re: What program is talking with Xlib

    Tony Johansson wrote:
    > Hello experts!
    >
    > I'm talking about the X window system here.
    >
    > As the Xlib does not interact directly with the hardware.
    > Xlib is talking to some program that interact directly with the hardware.
    >
    > The program that is interacting directly with the hardware could it for
    > example be the eXcursion or hummingbird because these are X-server programs.
    >
    > //Tony

    Take a look at http://x.org/X11_protocol.html

    -- ced

    --