Is it possibly to only use X window system - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Is it possibly to only use X window system - Xwindows ; Hello! This might be wrong newgroup to ask this question. Does X window system have any GUI components of it's own. I mean can you make a graphical User Interface application just by only using X window system. I think ...

  1. Is it possibly to only use X window system

    Hello!
    This might be wrong newgroup to ask this question.

    Does X window system have any GUI components of it's own. I mean can you
    make a graphical User Interface application just by only using X window
    system.

    I think that you must have some kind of program on top of the X window
    system that give you the possibility to use the kind of graphical components
    such as buttons, labels, dropdown menus, combo boxes and thinks like that.

    Many thanks in advance

    //Tony

  2. Re: Is it possibly to only use X window system

    "Tony Johansson" writes:

    > Hello!
    > This might be wrong newgroup to ask this question.
    >
    > Does X window system have any GUI components of it's own. I mean can you
    > make a graphical User Interface application just by only using X window
    > system.
    >
    > I think that you must have some kind of program on top of the X window
    > system that give you the possibility to use the kind of graphical components
    > such as buttons, labels, dropdown menus, combo boxes and thinks like that.

    You normally run a window manager, so you can move windows around,
    change the stacking order, and whatever else the window manager lets
    you do.

    To get buttons, menus, etc. you normally use some widget kit. The Xaw
    kit comes with a standard X installation, but is rather crude. Most
    modern programs use the GTK+ or QT widget kits. These are all
    libraries built on top of Xlib, not separate programs.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@inprovide.com

  3. Re: Is it possibly to only use X window system

    Måns Rullgård wrote in
    > To get buttons, menus, etc. you normally use some widget kit. The Xaw
    > kit comes with a standard X installation, but is rather crude. Most
    > modern programs use the GTK+ or QT widget kits.

    Or Motif.

+ Reply to Thread