eXcursion and Motif - Xwindows

This is a discussion on eXcursion and Motif - Xwindows ; Hello experts! I have some question that I hopefully will be answered by you. Assume the following. 1. You have a host computer running Unix as the operation system. 2. You install eXcursion on your PC. Thix will be the ...

  1. eXcursion and Motif

    Hello experts!

    I have some question that I hopefully will be answered by you.

    Assume the following.
    1. You have a host computer running Unix as the operation system.
    2. You install eXcursion on your PC. Thix will be the X-server and the host
    where
    unix is running will be the X-client.
    3. If the user Interface on the PC should be Motif do you have to install
    any further software on your PC.

    Does eXcursion has anything to do with Motif?

    //Tony

  2. Re: eXcursion and Motif

    "Tony Johansson" wrote in
    > Does eXcursion has anything to do with Motif?

    Motif applications should interoperate with any X server.

    Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

  3. Re: eXcursion and Motif

    Tony Johansson wrote:
    > Hello experts!
    >
    > I have some question that I hopefully will be answered by you.
    >
    > Assume the following.
    > 1. You have a host computer running Unix as the operation system.
    > 2. You install eXcursion on your PC. Thix will be the X-server and the host
    > where
    > unix is running will be the X-client.
    > 3. If the user Interface on the PC should be Motif do you have to install
    > any further software on your PC.

    No, for the most part it should just work. However, there are a couple
    potential issues that you might run into:
    (1) If you don't inform the Motif clients of the nature of X Display
    (primarily the keyboard) they are to use you might have some issues.
    Typically the default Motif vitual bindings are compatible with the
    local machine and those might not match the remote machine. For
    example, on a Solaris box the native Motif libraries default to
    bindings that match Sun's keyboard. When you run a client on the
    Winders based display you might not get exactly the same keyboard
    response you get when you run it locally even though there might be
    keys labelled the same on the respective keyboards. To resolve this
    you need to install virtual bindings on the Winders display prior to
    launching your client(s). The UNIX vendor may provide the binding
    definitions. Sun provides them for various systems under
    /usr/dt/lib/bindings. If you have this problem google comp.windows.x.*
    for "virtual bindings" and you should find some help.
    (B) If you need to run CDE remotely you might need run into font
    issues. Nothing show stopping but annoying. Depending on what (if
    any) issues you see you might have to do some display specific resource
    configuration to map CDE fonts to something on the Winders box or serve
    fonts from the UNIX host to the Winders box so that CDE can find them.

    HTH,

    -- ced

    --
    Chuck Dillon