How to configure 88-key IBM AT keyboard using XKB and XF86? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on How to configure 88-key IBM AT keyboard using XKB and XF86? - Xwindows ; I have an IBM 88-key AT keyboard. I've been using it successfully with XF86 and RedHat Linux for many years. During some recent upgrade (now running Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 3 (Taroon Update 3)), the Alt-Ctrl-F[1-9]*, Alt-Ctrl-Backspace and ...

  1. How to configure 88-key IBM AT keyboard using XKB and XF86?

    I have an IBM 88-key AT keyboard. I've been using it successfully with
    XF86 and RedHat Linux for many years. During some recent upgrade (now
    running Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 3 (Taroon Update 3)), the
    Alt-Ctrl-F[1-9]*, Alt-Ctrl-Backspace and Alt-Ctrl-Del key combos
    stopped working -- at least in Gnome and KDE. They work from the login
    screen, but quit after logging in.

    I suspect the problem is in the XKB configuration line in XF86Config,
    but I have no idea what to put there.

    I had been using XModmap. I have a .[Xx]modmap file (soft-linked
    together), that defines all of the keys. If I delete it, the above keys
    start working --- but... the keypad cursor keys (up, down, left, right,
    home, ...) quit working. I had assumed that when XF86Config specifies
    using XKB that .xmodmap is ignored, but I guess that's not the case.
    Do I need to have a .Xkbmap file? What should I put in it?

    I did google searches for xkbmap and "at keyboard", and for xkbmap and
    "88 key"; they didn't find anything.

    E-mail would help me most, but post, too, to get the answer into the
    archive.

  2. Re: How to configure 88-key IBM AT keyboard using XKB and XF86?

    Van Snyder wrote in message news:...

    > I have an IBM 88-key AT keyboard. I've been using it successfully with
    > XF86 and RedHat Linux for many years. During some recent upgrade (now
    > running Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 3 (Taroon Update 3)), the
    > Alt-Ctrl-F[1-9]*, Alt-Ctrl-Backspace and Alt-Ctrl-Del key combos
    > stopped working -- at least in Gnome and KDE. They work from the login
    > screen, but quit after logging in.

    --8<--

    Perhaps Xkeycaps may help you:

    http://www.jwz.org/xkeycaps/

    --- Casantos

  3. Re: How to configure 88-key IBM AT keyboard using XKB and XF86?

    Carlos A M dos Santos wrote:
    > Van Snyder wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>I have an IBM 88-key AT keyboard. I've been using it successfully with
    >>XF86 and RedHat Linux for many years. During some recent upgrade (now
    >>running Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 3 (Taroon Update 3)), the
    >>Alt-Ctrl-F[1-9]*, Alt-Ctrl-Backspace and Alt-Ctrl-Del key combos
    >>stopped working -- at least in Gnome and KDE. They work from the login
    >>screen, but quit after logging in.

    > --8<--
    >
    > Perhaps Xkeycaps may help you:
    >
    > http://www.jwz.org/xkeycaps/

    XKeycaps doesn't help at all: I have a perfectly good .xmodmap file.
    As explained in the original posting, the problem is that if the
    ..xmodmap file is present, Alt-Ctrl-F[1-6] don't switch to a text
    screen, while if it is absent, the cursor keys (up, down, ...) don't
    work.

    There's a typo in the original message: The keyboard is an IBM *84*
    key AT keyboard.

    It might well work if I could put the right XKB specification for
    it into XF86Config, which at present says

    Option "XkbModel" "pc101"

    I tried "pc84" and X failed to start.

  4. Re: How to configure 88-key IBM AT keyboard using XKB and XF86?

    Van Snyder wrote:

    >XKeycaps doesn't help at all: I have a perfectly good .xmodmap file.
    >As explained in the original posting, the problem is that if the
    >.xmodmap file is present, Alt-Ctrl-F[1-6] don't switch to a text
    >screen, while if it is absent, the cursor keys (up, down, ...) don't
    >work.
    >
    >There's a typo in the original message: The keyboard is an IBM *84*
    >key AT keyboard.
    >
    >It might well work if I could put the right XKB specification for
    >it into XF86Config, which at present says
    >
    > Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
    >
    >I tried "pc84" and X failed to start.

    xkb is complicated, and making up new config files will require some work.
    So, let me describe what I would do in your situation ...

    0) Remove Option statements from XF86Config, and disable .xmodmap files.

    1) The server will now query the operating system's console tables to
    build an xkb configuration. You should have a correct configuration
    at this level, built by the appropriate OS utilities; for example,
    Linux uses dumpkeys/loadkeys. It may be possible to get a correct
    X configuration by modifying only these console config files -- if
    so, you are done, and your character console will also work properly.

    1) Run "xkbcomp :0 filename" to see the current xkb configuration (which
    will be stored in filename). This file will consist of 5 sections:
    keycodes, types, compatibility, symbols, and geometry. You should
    be able to modify the symbols part to get whatever keyboard mapping
    you need. You can install your changes with "xkbcomp filename :0".
    If this is sufficient, then you are done.

    2) You can make your changes more permanent by breaking the file into
    its 5 sections and installing them as xkb config files. These 5
    files can be called out in XF86Config with Option Xkb{Keycodes,Types,
    Compat,Symbols,Geometry} -- this set of Options is mutually exclusive
    with the set {Model,Layout,Variant,Options} and the set {Keymap}.

+ Reply to Thread