Cygwin/X Compile on XP Pro - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Cygwin/X Compile on XP Pro - Xwindows ; Got the source distribution from Cygwin.com - got Cygwin to build fine, but when I followed the instructions for making the Cygwin/X distribution (from the setup.exe program) ,the build failed. Not sure exactly what the error was - It's "Error ...

  1. Cygwin/X Compile on XP Pro

    Got the source distribution from Cygwin.com - got Cygwin to build
    fine, but when I followed the instructions for making the Cygwin/X
    distribution (from the setup.exe program) ,the build failed.

    Not sure exactly what the error was - It's "Error 2", but it's not
    clear to me exactly what went wrong. I'm not a big expert on make and
    makefiles. Should I post the entire World.log? Is there a known
    problem with this distribution?

  2. Re: Cygwin/X Compile on XP Pro

    In comp.windows.x, John May

    wrote
    on 22 Nov 2004 11:57:57 -0800
    :
    > Got the source distribution from Cygwin.com - got Cygwin to build
    > fine, but when I followed the instructions for making the Cygwin/X
    > distribution (from the setup.exe program) ,the build failed.
    >
    > Not sure exactly what the error was - It's "Error 2", but it's not
    > clear to me exactly what went wrong. I'm not a big expert on make and
    > makefiles. Should I post the entire World.log? Is there a known
    > problem with this distribution?

    Error 2 = file not found. By itself it doesn't say much but perhaps
    there's a filename nearby?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

  3. Re: Cygwin/X Compile on XP Pro

    From World.log:
    making Makefiles in programs/Xserver/XpConfig...
    make[4]: Entering directory `/src/BUILD/debug/programs/Xserver'
    cd: can't cd to XpConfig
    make[4]: *** [XpConfig/Makefile] Error 2
    make[4]: Leaving directory `/src/BUILD/debug/programs/Xserver'
    make[3]: [Makefiles] Error 2 (ignored)

    also

    make[3]: Entering directory `/src/BUILD/debug/fonts'
    cd: can't cd to scaled
    make[3]: *** [scaled/Makefile] Error 2
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/src/BUILD/debug/fonts'
    make[2]: [Makefiles] Error 2 (ignored)
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/src/BUILD/debug/fonts'
    making Makefiles in doc...

    also
    Entering directory `/src/BUILD/debug/doc'
    cd: can't cd to hardcopy
    make[3]: *** [hardcopy/Makefile] Error 2
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/src/BUILD/debug/doc'
    make[2]: [Makefiles] Error 2 (ignored)

    And much later:

    make[4]: Leaving directory `/src/BUILD/debug/programs/Xserver/XTrap'
    cleaning in programs/Xserver/XpConfig...
    make: *** XpConfig: No such file or directory. Stop.
    make: Entering an unknown directorymake: Leaving an unknown
    directorymake[3]: *** [clean] Error 2
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/src/BUILD/debug/programs/Xserver'
    make[2]: *** [clean] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/src/BUILD/debug/programs'
    make[1]: *** [clean] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/src/BUILD/debug'
    make: *** [World] Error 2

    It seems at first glance as if this last error killed it. But I don't
    feel confident in that assessment, because it may have *really* been
    killed earlier and this snippet just shows the death of the cleanup,
    not the death of the build. Not knowing more about how makefiles
    generally work, I can't assess this.

    If it is this missing dir XpConfig, what is it, where do I get it, and
    why don't I already have it already. EMWTK.

    thanks for your help, much appreciated.

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote in message news:...
    > In comp.windows.x, John May
    >
    > wrote
    > on 22 Nov 2004 11:57:57 -0800
    > :
    > > Got the source distribution from Cygwin.com - got Cygwin to build
    > > fine, but when I followed the instructions for making the Cygwin/X
    > > distribution (from the setup.exe program) ,the build failed.
    > >
    > > Not sure exactly what the error was - It's "Error 2", but it's not
    > > clear to me exactly what went wrong. I'm not a big expert on make and
    > > makefiles. Should I post the entire World.log? Is there a known
    > > problem with this distribution?

    > Error 2 = file not found. By itself it doesn't say much but perhaps
    > there's a filename nearby?

  4. Re: Cygwin/X Compile on XP Pro

    In comp.windows.x, John May

    wrote
    on 23 Nov 2004 07:18:44 -0800
    :
    > From World.log:
    > making Makefiles in programs/Xserver/XpConfig...
    > make[4]: Entering directory `/src/BUILD/debug/programs/Xserver'
    > cd: can't cd to XpConfig
    > make[4]: *** [XpConfig/Makefile] Error 2
    > make[4]: Leaving directory `/src/BUILD/debug/programs/Xserver'
    > make[3]: [Makefiles] Error 2 (ignored)
    >
    > also

    > make[3]: Entering directory `/src/BUILD/debug/fonts'
    > cd: can't cd to scaled
    > make[3]: *** [scaled/Makefile] Error 2
    > make[3]: Leaving directory `/src/BUILD/debug/fonts'
    > make[2]: [Makefiles] Error 2 (ignored)
    > make[2]: Leaving directory `/src/BUILD/debug/fonts'
    > making Makefiles in doc...
    >

    > also
    > Entering directory `/src/BUILD/debug/doc'
    > cd: can't cd to hardcopy
    > make[3]: *** [hardcopy/Makefile] Error 2
    > make[3]: Leaving directory `/src/BUILD/debug/doc'
    > make[2]: [Makefiles] Error 2 (ignored)
    >

    > And much later:
    >
    > make[4]: Leaving directory `/src/BUILD/debug/programs/Xserver/XTrap'
    > cleaning in programs/Xserver/XpConfig...
    > make: *** XpConfig: No such file or directory. Stop.
    > make: Entering an unknown directorymake: Leaving an unknown
    > directorymake[3]: *** [clean] Error 2
    > make[3]: Leaving directory `/src/BUILD/debug/programs/Xserver'
    > make[2]: *** [clean] Error 2
    > make[2]: Leaving directory `/src/BUILD/debug/programs'
    > make[1]: *** [clean] Error 2
    > make[1]: Leaving directory `/src/BUILD/debug'
    > make: *** [World] Error 2
    >
    > It seems at first glance as if this last error killed it. But I don't
    > feel confident in that assessment, because it may have *really* been
    > killed earlier and this snippet just shows the death of the cleanup,
    > not the death of the build. Not knowing more about how makefiles
    > generally work, I can't assess this.
    >
    > If it is this missing dir XpConfig, what is it, where do I get it, and
    > why don't I already have it already. EMWTK.
    >
    > thanks for your help, much appreciated.

    I don't know, but it looks like the problem was far above that.
    Xorg is a tricky beast to build properly, that much I know.
    I basically gave up and waited for Gentoo. :-) (I didn't have
    to wait too long.) Of course that was for a Linux build, which
    is a different kettle of fish from what you're doing, though
    not that different.

    Good luck.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.