Help needed : Remote Shutting and Starting Windows 98SE - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Help needed : Remote Shutting and Starting Windows 98SE - Xwindows ; Dear friends Here is a windows 98 problem for you to help me out with. I am going out of station. During the period while I am gone, I want my pc to start up at a specific time every ...

  1. Help needed : Remote Shutting and Starting Windows 98SE

    Dear friends

    Here is a windows 98 problem for you to help me out with.

    I am going out of station.

    During the period while I am gone, I want my pc to start up at a
    specific time every day, connect to the internet , run a particular
    program after connecting to the net and start downloading some files.
    Then, 8 hours after getting connected to the net ,I want my pc to
    disconnect from the net and shut itself off.
    Then again next day ,I want the same sequence of events to be repeated.
    This I want to continue for 5 days till I am back to base.

    Is there some way by which this is possible ?

    I hav thought of a solution.
    But for that I will have to leave my pc on continuously for 5 days. (
    will this be a sane idea ?? )

    Is there any way I could do all this without keeping my PC continuously on ??

    I have thought of using the task scheduler to schedule this task to
    run for the stipulated period of time every day.
    But there is no way, I could switch off the pc remotely after running
    the task and again put it back on the next day (same time).

    Another problem with the task scheduler might be thus - the program
    used to connect to the net will open, but it won't get connected until
    you push a button on the program; and this task of pushing a button to
    get connected wont be done by the task scheduler.

    So, what am I left with - nothing but a dead end.

    Can you help me out with this ?

    ( Will I have to finally use a human element to put my pc on at a
    particular time, connect to the net, and then again disconnect and put
    the pc off after the execution of the task ?? )
    Microsoft must have thought about this problem and made some provision for it.

    Many thanks for any help that you can give me.

    With best regards

    Abheek Ghosh

  2. Re: Help needed : HOW TO CROSSPOST

    Dr. Abheek Ghosh wrote:

    > Dear friends
    >
    > Here is a windows 98 problem for you to help me out with.

    You crosspost this to 5 groups.. One of them having absolutely
    nothing to do with Microsoft Windows..

    Are you a troll or just some sort of idiot ?

  3. Re: Help needed : Remote Shutting and Starting Windows 98SE

  4. Re: Help needed : Remote Shutting and Starting Windows 98SE

    I am sorry about this too.

    Dr. Abheek Ghosh

    Lew Pitcher wrote in message news:...

+ Reply to Thread