Is there a "standard" X-window Color chooser? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Is there a "standard" X-window Color chooser? - Xwindows ; Just try XFacemaker 4.0... http://www.nsl.fr "Norm Dresner" a écrit dans le message de news aLkd.883259$Gx4.401068@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > Before I reinvent the wheel one more time, I'd like to know if there's a > relatively standard generic X-window app to function as ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: Is there a "standard" X-window Color chooser?

    Just try XFacemaker 4.0...
    http://www.nsl.fr

    "Norm Dresner" a écrit dans le message de
    newsaLkd.883259$Gx4.401068@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > Before I reinvent the wheel one more time, I'd like to know if there's a
    > relatively standard generic X-window app to function as a "Color Chooser".
    > I remember seeing a few color-display and/or choice apps on SGI's IRIX
    > systems (but I don't have one running here right now to try them out

    again)
    > but I can't find anything either in the manpages or in the O'Reilly
    > X-programming series.
    >
    > Ideally what I'd like as a user is to have a palette displayed and with a
    > mouse-click get a read-out of RGB values and -- if known -- a standard

    name
    > for the color I've chosen. A second choice would be a color mixer with
    > three sliding controls which I could use to adjust the relative R, G, and

    > content of a color and to have the current color displayed in a box in
    > "real-time".
    >
    > Of course, beggars can't be too choosy and for a one-time use I'd settle

    for
    > whatever exists before diving in to write my own. All URLs, pointers,
    > references, etc graciously accepted.
    >
    > If it matters, the program needs to run on a PC with RedHat Linux 7.2, the
    > 2.4.18 kernel, and XFree86-4.1.0-3.
    >
    > TIA
    > Norm

  2. Re: Is there a "standard" X-window Color chooser?

    In article ,
    Rouben Rostamian wrote:

    >In article ,
    >Norm Dresner wrote:
    >>Before I reinvent the wheel one more time, I'd like to know if there's a
    >>relatively standard generic X-window app to function as a "Color Chooser".
    >>I remember seeing a few color-display and/or choice apps on SGI's IRIX
    >>systems (but I don't have one running here right now to try them out again)
    >>but I can't find anything either in the manpages or in the O'Reilly
    >>X-programming series.
    >>
    >>Ideally what I'd like as a user is to have a palette displayed and with a
    >>mouse-click get a read-out of RGB values and -- if known -- a standard name
    >>for the color I've chosen. A second choice would be a color mixer with
    >>three sliding controls which I could use to adjust the relative R, G, and B
    >>content of a color and to have the current color displayed in a box in
    >>"real-time".

    >There used to be a very nice program by Michael Weller called
    >xcolorsel that did pretty much what you want. Apparently it
    >was abandoned in 1994. You can still find its sources on
    >the net, however it does not compile on any modern system.
    >I tried patching it without success.
    >
    >The last time I compiled it successfully was on RedHat 6.2.
    >Knowing that I wouldn't be able to compile it on newer
    >Linuxes, I linked it with the static (not shared) libraries.
    >The statically linked executable works very nicely on all
    >Linuxes, including the latest kernels.
    >
    >If you want to, I can mail the executable to you.
    >
    >Here is what xcolorsel does:
    >
    >It displays the colors defined in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt
    >with sample patches. You can select a color and have it
    >displayed as xcolorsel window's background. Similarly, you
    >can select a color and have it displayed as xcolorsel window's
    >foreground. This is very handy when you are experimenting
    >with various color combinations.
    >
    >Additionally, you can grab a color from an arbitrary pixel from
    >anywhere on the screen and ask xcolorsel to find the closest
    >match in rgb.txt. I use that feature quite a lot, as well.
    >
    >If anyone here has patched xcolorsel to bring it up to date,
    >I would be interested to know.
    >
    >--
    >Rouben Rostamian

    I just checked, and it's available in the FreeBSD ports collection, version
    1.1a. If you'd like, I could mail you the port skeleton (Makefile, patches,
    etc.).

    --
    Conrad J. Sabatier -- "In Unix veritas"

  3. Re: Is there a "standard" X-window Color chooser?

    Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Rouben Rostamian wrote:
    >

    >>In article ,
    >>Norm Dresner wrote:

    >>If anyone here has patched xcolorsel to bring it up to date,
    >>I would be interested to know.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Rouben Rostamian

    > I just checked, and it's available in the FreeBSD ports collection, version
    > 1.1a. If you'd like, I could mail you the port skeleton (Makefile, patches,
    > etc.).

    It's also standard in debian X packages.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2