X resource leak detection - Xwindows

This is a discussion on X resource leak detection - Xwindows ; Hello all, Does anybody know about tools to detect the X resource leak (bitmaps, fonts, cursors, etc.) for an application. There are many tools to detect usual memory leaks. However none of them seems to be helpful to debug X11 ...

  1. X resource leak detection

    Hello all,

    Does anybody know about tools to detect the X resource leak (bitmaps, fonts,
    cursors, etc.) for an application.
    There are many tools to detect usual memory leaks. However none of them
    seems to be helpful to debug X11 programs.

  2. Re: X resource leak detection

    "mikets" writes in comp.windows.x:
    |Does anybody know about tools to detect the X resource leak (bitmaps, fonts,
    |cursors, etc.) for an application.
    |There are many tools to detect usual memory leaks. However none of them
    |seems to be helpful to debug X11 programs.

    Use an X server with the X Resource Extension (XFree86 4.3 and later,
    Xorg X11R6.7 and later, Xsun in Solaris 9 and later, etc.) and tools
    that use it, such as xrestop ( http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/xrestop ).

    Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
    http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~alanc/ * http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/

  3. Re: X resource leak detection

    Alan Coopersmith wrote:

    > Use an X server with the X Resource Extension (XFree86 4.3 and later,
    > Xorg X11R6.7 and later, Xsun in Solaris 9 and later, etc.) and tools
    > that use it, such as xrestop ( http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/xrestop ).

    Where is the documentation for the extension?

    --
    .-. .-. Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely
    (_ \ / _) ceremonial.

    | dave@willfork.com

  4. Re: X resource leak detection

    http://www.xfree86.org/current/XResQ...tension.3.html