(Originally posted to tightvnc mailing list)

I'm following the suggestion at
http://www.realvnc.com/pipermail/vnc...ry/000114.html to
get rid
of stipple patterns and speed up a pixel-oriented remote-desktop connection
(VNC) when using twm. I've followed every detail to the letter. To
make sure,
I queried the X resources with xrdb, and also restarted twm. I get a
warning
message whenever I launch xterm:

Warning: Cannot convert string 'solid' to type Pixmap

If I enable the scrollbar on the xterm, the slider is stippled. I assume
that this means the procedure didn't work for me. What could I be doing
wrong? I'm using solaris 8. It doesn't happen if I launch xclock,
presumably because it doesn't make use of a scrollbar.

On a possibly related note, the scrollbar for mozilla 1.2.1 is also stippled
(though it is stippled everywhere that the slider knob *isn't*, in contrast
to xterm). I'm hoping that if I solve the stippled slider for xterm, the
scrollbar for mozilla will also be fixed. If you have experienced this
(or the opposite), I'd appreciate hearing your comments on it.

Fred

P.S. I know mozilla 1.2.1 is old. My sys admin will upgrade as soon as
he has a chance.