"My Computer" window very slow displaying drives - Xwindows

This is a discussion on "My Computer" window very slow displaying drives - Xwindows ; I have a brand new Dell 8400 which is very fast except for displaying the available drives when the "My Computer" Icon is pressed. It takes as long as 4 minutes for that screen to display the drives. Once its ...

  1. "My Computer" window very slow displaying drives

    I have a brand new Dell 8400 which is very fast except for displaying
    the available drives when the "My Computer" Icon is pressed. It takes
    as long as 4 minutes for that screen to display the drives. Once its
    is displayed, move around the drives from folder to folder is veryt
    fast. If want to copy a file, and the window for the destination is
    already up, no problem. But is I need to browse the computer, it
    another 4 minute wait. Operating system is WinXP with service pack 2.
    It came from Dell that way. I have disconnected the computer from our
    network to make sure that it isn't a networking problem.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Ken

  2. Re: "My Computer" window very slow displaying drives

  3. Re: "My Computer" window very slow displaying drives

    I believe you misunderstood comp.windows.x stood for X-windows, not M$
    Windows. There's a difference. If you want to have X-windows on your
    MS-machine, you maybe want to look at www.cygwin.com, but I think you just
    want to direct your question to a Microsoft forum.

    Philip

    "Ken Ready" wrote in message
    news:81b933c3.0411021359.229d9a76@posting.google.c om...
    >I have a brand new Dell 8400 which is very fast except for displaying
    > the available drives when the "My Computer" Icon is pressed. It takes
    > as long as 4 minutes for that screen to display the drives. Once its
    > is displayed, move around the drives from folder to folder is veryt
    > fast. If want to copy a file, and the window for the destination is
    > already up, no problem. But is I need to browse the computer, it
    > another 4 minute wait. Operating system is WinXP with service pack 2.
    > It came from Dell that way. I have disconnected the computer from our
    > network to make sure that it isn't a networking problem.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    >
    > Ken

+ Reply to Thread