Left button press slows down mouse response - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Left button press slows down mouse response - Xwindows ; NOTE: My apologies for posting this to other subgroups of comp.windows.x--I was confused by my news reader into thinking that there was no group comp.windows.x, only subgroups... When I press the left button of my mouse, horizontal tracking frequently, but ...

  1. Left button press slows down mouse response

    NOTE: My apologies for posting this to other subgroups of
    comp.windows.x--I was confused by my news reader into thinking that
    there was no group comp.windows.x, only subgroups...

    When I press the left button of my mouse, horizontal tracking
    frequently, but not always, slows down to a crawl. That is, I have to
    move the mouse a long horizontal distance to get any movement on the
    screen. This has bugged me for some time, but I didn't realize that it
    was just a left button click that did it--I thought it was moving
    windows (every now and then, I'd have difficulty moving a window to
    where I wanted it).

    Is this likely to be a hardware problem, X-configuration problem, or
    KDE problem?

    Details:

    Logitech 3-button wheel mouse, model M-S48
    KDE 3.2.3

    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "MouseManPlusPS/2"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

    X -version:
    XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (Debian 4.3.0-0ds2 20030304042836
    dstone@aedificator)
    Release Date: 27 February 2003
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
    Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.21-pre5 i686 [ELF]
    Build Date: 04 March 2003
    Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
    Module Loader present
    OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.21 (root@galaxy) (gcc version 3.2.3
    20030316 (Debian prerelease)) #1 Sun Aug 3 20:15:59 PDT 2003

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Bob Sidebotham

  2. Re: Left button press slows down mouse response

  3. Re: Left button press slows down mouse response

    Lew Pitcher wrote in message news:...

    > Bob Sidebotham wrote:
    > > NOTE: My apologies for posting this to other subgroups of
    > > comp.windows.x--I was confused by my news reader into thinking that
    > > there was no group comp.windows.x, only subgroups...

    > So, did you read my reply on comp.windows.x.i386unix?
    > Looking at your X config file, below, I'd guess not.

    Well, at the time I posted this, it wasn't there. Anyway, thanks for
    your replies.

    > Your problem is likely that you've specified the wrong mouse driver. Try
    > Option "Protocol" "Auto"
    > or find the proper protocol for the mouse.

    I tried this, but I'm still getting the same symptoms. It's not
    possible for me to say whether they are as severe, or not: the problem
    comes and goes, but can usually be reproduced fairly quickly. It shows
    up, for example, when trying to move a window, or highlight text--all
    of a sudden, no amount of moving of the mouse will cause the text to
    highlight, because the pointer won't move. As soon as I release the
    button, everything returns to normal.

    Here is an excerpt from the log from the X server startup:

    (**) Option "Protocol" "Auto"
    (**) Default Mouse: Protocol: "Auto"
    (**) Option "CorePointer"
    (**) Default Mouse: Core Pointer
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    (**) Default Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
    (**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    (**) Default Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
    (**) Default Mouse: Buttons: 5
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Default Mouse" (type:
    MOUSE)
    (--) Default Mouse: PnP-detected protocol: "ImPS/2"
    (II) Default Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded

    > You might as well also fix your 3-button support. With a 3-button mouse
    > (like you say you have), you do not need
    > Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    > You might as well remove this line, or change it to
    > Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"

    All of this stuff was put in by the system installer
    (Libranet/Debian). Obviously it doesn't matter whether the chording
    option is chosen, or not (and the default is apparently to enable
    chording anyway, based on the log, above).

    For what it's worth, none of this happens when the RIGHT mouse button
    is pushed. Only the left mouse button, and it IS intermittent.

    I also tried the instructions in this document:

    http://www.xfree86.org/current/mouse4.html

    which suggested that I try "Mouseman" and "Microsoft" protocols. Both
    of these failed miserably (the mouse was unusable).

    Any other ideas would be appreciated (maybe it's time to get a new
    mouse...).

    Thanks,
    Bob

+ Reply to Thread