X refusing remote sessions. - Xwindows

This is a discussion on X refusing remote sessions. - Xwindows ; I have an installation of Fedora Core 2 which is refusing remote X sessions. Even after setting "xhost +" on my local machine and setting the DISPLAY variable on the remote computer, I still get: Error: Cannot open display It ...

  1. X refusing remote sessions.

    I have an installation of Fedora Core 2 which is refusing remote X
    sessions. Even after setting "xhost +" on my local machine and
    setting the DISPLAY variable on the remote computer, I still get:

    Error: Cannot open display

    It may be a coincidence, but this seems to have started with the
    change to X.org. Any suggestions would be welcome

    Thanks
    James Hinchey

  2. Re: X refusing remote sessions.

    In article <3ec73cda.0410260435.37046c04@posting.google.com>,
    James Hinchey wrote:

    >I have an installation of Fedora Core 2 which is refusing remote X
    >sessions. Even after setting "xhost +" on my local machine and
    >setting the DISPLAY variable on the remote computer, I still get:
    >
    >Error: Cannot open display
    >

    >It may be a coincidence, but this seems to have started with the
    >change to X.org. Any suggestions would be welcome
    >
    >Thanks
    >James Hinchey

    Make sure the "-nolisten tcp" switch is not in effect, and that there's
    nothing blocking port 6000 in your firewall (if any).

    --
    Conrad J. Sabatier -- "In Unix veritas"

  3. Re: X refusing remote sessions.

    I'm having a similar problem (using SUSE SLES8/9). How would I
    check/unblock port 6000? And where is the "-nolisten tcp" switch
    located?

    -- Doug

    conrads@cox.net (Conrad J. Sabatier) wrote in message news:...
    > In article <3ec73cda.0410260435.37046c04@posting.google.com>,
    > James Hinchey wrote:
    > >

    > >I have an installation of Fedora Core 2 which is refusing remote X
    > >sessions. Even after setting "xhost +" on my local machine and
    > >setting the DISPLAY variable on the remote computer, I still get:
    > >
    > >Error: Cannot open display
    > >

    > >It may be a coincidence, but this seems to have started with the
    > >change to X.org. Any suggestions would be welcome
    > >
    > >Thanks
    > >James Hinchey

    > Make sure the "-nolisten tcp" switch is not in effect, and that there's
    > nothing blocking port 6000 in your firewall (if any).

  4. Re: X refusing remote sessions.

    douglas@pase.us (Douglas Pase) writes:

    > I'm having a similar problem (using SUSE SLES8/9). How would I
    > check/unblock port 6000? And where is the "-nolisten tcp" switch
    > located?

    Look in your startx script, or whatever starts your X server.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@inprovide.com

  5. Re: X refusing remote sessions.

    Douglas Pase wrote:
    > I'm having a similar problem (using SUSE SLES8/9). How would I
    > check/unblock port 6000? And where is the "-nolisten tcp" switch
    > located?

    Your best bet on SUSE is to configure it using YAST, for some reason SUSE
    locates KDE and GNOME in /opt and the respective configuration files for
    kdm or gdm in there as well. Of course if you are using xdm the
    configuration is probably in /etc.

    -p
    --
    Paul Gotch