Ceating a window for just logging messages. - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Ceating a window for just logging messages. - Xwindows ; I need to create an X-window for logging messages. I don't need any graphics or anything, just something to scroll the messages on the screen. I figured there must be a toolkit (or code somewhere) that has something that already ...

  1. Ceating a window for just logging messages.

    I need to create an X-window for logging messages.
    I don't need any graphics or anything, just something
    to scroll the messages on the screen.

    I figured there must be a toolkit (or code somewhere) that has
    something that already does this. I'm not real familiar with writing
    X APPs and hoped I wouldn't have to create a window and send text to
    it and keep track of
    whether the text wrapped, and scrolling the text etc.

    I was hoping there was something that already did this.

    Thanks, Pat

  2. Re: Ceating a window for just logging messages.

    In comp.windows.x, Pat

    wrote
    on 21 Oct 2004 10:14:11 -0700
    <6103bcb1.0410210914.6d512b37@posting.google.com>:
    > I need to create an X-window for logging messages.
    > I don't need any graphics or anything, just something
    > to scroll the messages on the screen.
    >
    > I figured there must be a toolkit (or code somewhere) that has
    > something that already does this. I'm not real familiar with writing
    > X APPs and hoped I wouldn't have to create a window and send text to
    > it and keep track of
    > whether the text wrapped, and scrolling the text etc.
    >
    > I was hoping there was something that already did this.
    >
    > Thanks, Pat

    Well, if you want something *extremely* simple, make a fifo
    (say, tmp.fifo) and fork off 'xterm -e cat tmp.fifo'. Or
    you can simply open a text widget and append text thereto
    programatically (the specifics depend on which widget set
    you want to use). Or you can do 'xterm -C' and shove your
    logging messages using syslog(); those messages that would
    appear on the console would also appear in that xterm.

    These should be a good starting point; someone else might
    have a solution that might be more aesthetic.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

+ Reply to Thread