Simulate Sun keys from PC keyboard - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Simulate Sun keys from PC keyboard - Xwindows ; I have managed to use xmodmap to effectively produce Sun Copy/Paste keys mapped to my PC keyboard's function keys. This works fine when copying and pasting in xterm windows etc. However in certain apps, the remapping has no effect. I ...

  1. Simulate Sun keys from PC keyboard

    I have managed to use xmodmap to effectively produce Sun Copy/Paste
    keys mapped to my PC keyboard's function keys. This works fine when
    copying and pasting in xterm windows etc.

    However in certain apps, the remapping has no effect. I presume that
    the app is reading the keycode and not bothering to see what keysym I
    had re-assigned to it.

    Assuming that this is the problem, is there a way that I can get the
    physical (say) F9 and F10 keys on my PC keyboard to generate keyCODES
    that will fool these apps into accepting that a Sun Copy and Sun Paste
    key has been pressed?

  2. Re: Simulate Sun keys from PC keyboard

    cbdeja@my-deja.com (-) writes:

    > I have managed to use xmodmap to effectively produce Sun Copy/Paste
    > keys mapped to my PC keyboard's function keys. This works fine when
    > copying and pasting in xterm windows etc.
    >
    > However in certain apps, the remapping has no effect. I presume that
    > the app is reading the keycode and not bothering to see what keysym I
    > had re-assigned to it.

    Most probably no. Really.

    > Assuming that this is the problem, is there a way that I can get the
    > physical (say) F9 and F10 keys on my PC keyboard to generate
    > keyCODES that will fool these apps into accepting that a Sun Copy
    > and Sun Paste key has been pressed?

    It is possible, but very cumbersome (you would have to write the
    program yourself i believe). And since it probably won't help you I
    don't see the need to explain how to do it.

    To get any real help you need to specify which programs trouble you.

    --
    - Mårten

    mail: msv@kth.se *** ICQ: 4356928 *** mobile: +46 (0)707390385

  3. Re: Simulate Sun keys from PC keyboard

    cbdeja@my-deja.com (-) writes:

    > Assuming that this is the problem, is there a way that I can get the
    > physical (say) F9 and F10 keys on my PC keyboard to generate keyCODES
    > that will fool these apps into accepting that a Sun Copy and Sun Paste
    > key has been pressed?

    I suppose you could get this effect by patching Xnest to
    translate the keycodes for you.

+ Reply to Thread