Xnest and GB keyboard layouts - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Xnest and GB keyboard layouts - Xwindows ; Does anyone know how to pursuade Xnest to use a keyboard layout other than US english? The documentation specifically says that it doesn't inherit the keyboard layout from the enclosing server and uses it's own compiled in defaults. However it ...

  1. Xnest and GB keyboard layouts

    Does anyone know how to pursuade Xnest to use a keyboard layout other than
    US english?

    The documentation specifically says that it doesn't inherit the keyboard
    layout from the enclosing server and uses it's own compiled in defaults.
    However it doesn't say how to override these defaults.

    Googling turns up some references to "-xkbmap" options but doesn't go into
    any detail about what to pass to this option.

    -p
    --
    Paul Gotch
    Development Systems ARM Limited.

    This message is intended for the addressee(s) only and may contain
    information that is the property of, and/or subject to a confidentiality
    agreement between the intended recipient(s), their organisation and/or the
    ARM Group of Companies. If you are not an intended recipient of this
    message, you should not read, copy, forward or otherwise distribute or
    further disclose the information in it; misuse of the contents of this
    message may violate various laws in your state, jurisdiction or
    country. If you have received this message in error, please contact
    the originator of this message via email and delete all copies of
    this message from your computer or network, thank you.

  2. Re: Xnest and GB keyboard layouts

    wrote:
    >Does anyone know how to pursuade Xnest to use a keyboard layout other than
    >US english?
    >
    >The documentation specifically says that it doesn't inherit the keyboard
    >layout from the enclosing server and uses it's own compiled in defaults.
    >However it doesn't say how to override these defaults.
    >
    >Googling turns up some references to "-xkbmap" options but doesn't go into
    >any detail about what to pass to this option.
    >
    >-p

    -xkbmap 'xfree86(gb)'

  3. Re: Xnest and GB keyboard layouts

    Kip Rugger wrote:
    > -xkbmap 'xfree86(gb)'

    Thanks muchly.

    Despite the fact that it claims not as I get a message saying

    "Error opening keymap file xfree86(gb), reverting to defaults"

    on the console it does actually work.

    -p
    --
    Paul Gotch