XP restarts automatically on startup, before, during, or just after login - Xwindows

This is a discussion on XP restarts automatically on startup, before, during, or just after login - Xwindows ; Hi, My XP machine has been restarting automatically around the time that it reaches the login screen during startup. If I wait about 10 seconds, it spontaneously reboots. I can quickly login, but the same thing happens immediately after it ...

  1. XP restarts automatically on startup, before, during, or just after login

    Hi,

    My XP machine has been restarting automatically around the time that
    it reaches the login screen during startup. If I wait about 10
    seconds, it spontaneously reboots. I can quickly login, but the same
    thing happens immediately after it reaches the desktop. Basically, it
    will not allow me access.

    I've read that it may be a response to a blue screen, and, in fact, I
    have seen one (only once!) , though I don't recall what it says. I've
    also read about how to turn-off automatic blue screen restart, but it
    restarts before I can access those settings.

    I've tried booting from the Ultimate Boot CD v2.4 and scanning for
    viruses, but none are found. I think somewhere my NTFS file system is
    corrupt (based on a file system scanning utility) but I don't know if
    that is related, especially because the corruption seems to be in an
    obscure folder.

    I've tried getting into XP safe mode, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it
    correctly. Pressing F8 during startup only gets me a boot device menu.
    (By the way, I have an ASUS P4C800 motherboard, if that's relevant)
    How should I go about this?

    Should I try something with my Windows XP CD-ROM?

    Thanks for any help or insight you can provide. I am constantly amazed
    by all of your guys' collective knowledge and willingness to share it.

    RG

  2. Re: XP restarts automatically on startup, before, during, or justafter login

+ Reply to Thread