Blackbox - New style on new workspace? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Blackbox - New style on new workspace? - Xwindows ; Hi all, I am using blackbox as my window manager (with XFree86 4.4/XDarwin on MacOS-X 10.3, but that should not really matter). I'm typically using three workspaces, one with local programs, one with remotely running programs, and one for monitoring ...

  1. Blackbox - New style on new workspace?

    Hi all,

    I am using blackbox as my window manager (with XFree86 4.4/XDarwin on
    MacOS-X 10.3, but that should not really matter). I'm typically using
    three workspaces, one with local programs, one with remotely running
    programs, and one for monitoring experiments on a third cluster of
    machines.

    All of them have a large Gnu Emacs Window on the left and some xterms
    all over the screen... The only indicatior of which workspace is
    active is a small, half hidden text in my very small tool bar. I
    sometimes get confused ;-)

    I'd like to be able to use a different colour scheme on each of the
    workspaces. I checked Google, but did not find anything particularly
    useful (though thousands of sites offering thousands of styles...).

    Does anybody have an idea of how to achieve my goal? Just having
    different backgrounds would solve the practical problem, but
    completely independent colour schemes would be much cooler.

    Bye,

    Stephan

    P.S.: Follow-up to comp.windows.x only. Alternatively, non-SPAM,
    on-topic email welcome. I'll summarize.

    --
    -------------------------- It can be done! ---------------------------------
    Please email me as schulz@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Stephan Schulz)

  2. Re: Blackbox - New style on new workspace?

    On 2004-10-04, Stephan Schulz wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am using blackbox as my window manager (with XFree86 4.4/XDarwin on
    > MacOS-X 10.3, but that should not really matter). I'm typically using
    > three workspaces, one with local programs, one with remotely running
    > programs, and one for monitoring experiments on a third cluster of
    > machines.
    >
    > All of them have a large Gnu Emacs Window on the left and some xterms
    > all over the screen... The only indicatior of which workspace is
    > active is a small, half hidden text in my very small tool bar. I
    > sometimes get confused ;-)
    >
    > I'd like to be able to use a different colour scheme on each of the
    > workspaces. I checked Google, but did not find anything particularly
    > useful (though thousands of sites offering thousands of styles...).
    >
    > Does anybody have an idea of how to achieve my goal? Just having
    > different backgrounds would solve the practical problem, but
    > completely independent colour schemes would be much cooler.
    >
    > Bye,
    >
    > Stephan
    >
    > P.S.: Follow-up to comp.windows.x only. Alternatively, non-SPAM,
    > on-topic email welcome. I'll summarize.

    Not possible with blackbox.

    Switch to fluxbox and use fbdesktop to achieve what you want
    http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/

    --

    Nik

  3. Re: Blackbox - New style on new workspace?

    wrote:

    >> I'd like to be able to use a different colour scheme on each of the
    >> workspaces. I checked Google, but did not find anything particularly
    >> useful (though thousands of sites offering thousands of styles...).
    >>
    >> Does anybody have an idea of how to achieve my goal? Just having
    >> different backgrounds would solve the practical problem, but
    >> completely independent colour schemes would be much cooler.

    >Not possible with blackbox.
    >
    >Switch to fluxbox and use fbdesktop to achieve what you want
    >http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/

    Thanks, I'll check it out. I've already downloaded the blackbox
    sources, but done no serious hacking yet ;-)

    Bye,

    Stephan