mouse/keyboard focus mystery - Xwindows

This is a discussion on mouse/keyboard focus mystery - Xwindows ; I prefer to explicitly click in a window to give it mouse and keyboard focus, and I've got my window manager configured this way. (I think it's the line Style "*" ClickToFocus, ClickToFocusPassesClickOff in .fvwm2rc, but I don't remember.) Occasionally, ...

  1. mouse/keyboard focus mystery

    I prefer to explicitly click in a window to give it mouse and
    keyboard focus, and I've got my window manager configured this
    way. (I think it's the line
    Style "*" ClickToFocus, ClickToFocusPassesClickOff
    in .fvwm2rc, but I don't remember.)

    Occasionally, though, it gets in a state where clicks in a window
    give that window only mouse focus, not keyboard focus, and do not
    bring the window to the top. In this state, I've discovered that
    I can still give a window keyboard focus and bring it to the top
    by using the two-step sequence of clicking on the window's title
    bar and then moving the mouse pointer slightly.

    How does it get into this state? I assume it's when I
    fumblefingeredly hit some key or button combination I'm not even
    aware of, but what? More importantly, how do I get out of this
    state, so that clicks anywhere in a window again give it keyboard
    focus and bring it to the top?

    This is using fvwm2 under X11R6 and SuSE Linux on a Mac
    PowerBook, if it makes a difference.

    Steve Summit
    scs@eskimo.com

  2. Re: mouse/keyboard focus mystery

    scs@eskimo.com (Steve Summit) writes:

    > I prefer to explicitly click in a window to give it mouse and
    > keyboard focus, and I've got my window manager configured this
    > way. (I think it's the line
    > Style "*" ClickToFocus, ClickToFocusPassesClickOff
    > in .fvwm2rc, but I don't remember.)
    >
    > Occasionally, though, it gets in a state where clicks in a window
    > give that window only mouse focus, not keyboard focus, and do not
    > bring the window to the top. In this state, I've discovered that
    > I can still give a window keyboard focus and bring it to the top
    > by using the two-step sequence of clicking on the window's title
    > bar and then moving the mouse pointer slightly.
    >
    > How does it get into this state? I assume it's when I
    > fumblefingeredly hit some key or button combination I'm not even
    > aware of, but what? More importantly, how do I get out of this
    > state, so that clicks anywhere in a window again give it keyboard
    > focus and bring it to the top?
    >
    > This is using fvwm2 under X11R6 and SuSE Linux on a Mac
    > PowerBook, if it makes a difference.

    fvwm2 used to be the default window manager at my university, and I
    saw something similar happen many times. I guess it's just a bug
    somewhere. If it bothers you, use a different window manager. The
    better ones can be configured to the same look and feel as fvwm2, if
    you insist.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@mru.ath.cx

  3. Re: mouse/keyboard focus mystery

    Måns Rullgård writes:

    > scs@eskimo.com (Steve Summit) writes:
    >
    >> I prefer to explicitly click in a window to give it mouse and
    >> keyboard focus, and I've got my window manager configured this
    >> way. (I think it's the line
    >> Style "*" ClickToFocus, ClickToFocusPassesClickOff
    >> in .fvwm2rc, but I don't remember.)
    >>
    >> Occasionally, though, it gets in a state where clicks in a window
    >> give that window only mouse focus, not keyboard focus, and do not
    >> bring the window to the top. In this state, I've discovered that
    >> I can still give a window keyboard focus and bring it to the top
    >> by using the two-step sequence of clicking on the window's title
    >> bar and then moving the mouse pointer slightly.
    >>
    >> How does it get into this state? I assume it's when I
    >> fumblefingeredly hit some key or button combination I'm not even
    >> aware of, but what? More importantly, how do I get out of this
    >> state, so that clicks anywhere in a window again give it keyboard
    >> focus and bring it to the top?
    >>
    >> This is using fvwm2 under X11R6 and SuSE Linux on a Mac
    >> PowerBook, if it makes a difference.

    > fvwm2 used to be the default window manager at my university, and I
    > saw something similar happen many times. I guess it's just a bug
    > somewhere. If it bothers you, use a different window manager. The
    > better ones can be configured to the same look and feel as fvwm2, if
    > you insist.

    You'll get better answers on the mail list fvwm@fvwm.org.

    Focusing and raising are 2 different things.
    It sounds like you want:

    Style * ClickToFocusRaises

    As for things getting in a funny state, check question
    0.1 in the Fvwm FAQ. Anything like that is usually related
    to the numlock modifier.

    My advice is don't bother with another window manager
    if you want ultimate control of your desktop.

+ Reply to Thread