Virtual Desktop. Alternative way to scroll Viewport's contents. - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Virtual Desktop. Alternative way to scroll Viewport's contents. - Xwindows ; Hi. 1. In X-Window there is a certain feature called Virtual Desktop. It is activated, when in file XF86Config we declare, that the "Virtual" resolution has to be bigger than physicial resolution declared in "Modes". 2. One way to scroll ...

  1. Virtual Desktop. Alternative way to scroll Viewport's contents.

    Hi.

    1. In X-Window there is a certain feature called Virtual Desktop. It is
    activated, when in file XF86Config we declare, that the "Virtual" resolution
    has to be bigger than physicial resolution declared in "Modes".
    2. One way to scroll the contents of the physical viewport is to move the
    mouse "beyond the boundaries of visible area" (some sources call it "to the
    edge of the screen"), that's quite nice solution; however:
    3. MY QUESTION: Is there a way to scroll WITHOUT FIRST moving the mouse to
    the edge of screen? This would preferably look like this:
    3.1. i push a key on keyboard (let's say it's LEFT CTRL) and hold it
    3.2. while holding the key I move my mouse
    3.3. the viewed area moves in response to mouse movements. The mouse cursor
    stands still relatively to either the virtual desktop or the physical
    screen.
    3.4. hmm. if any such thing exists, I would probably call it Viewport Mouse
    Panning :-)
    4. The reason why I asked this question: I use a 1600x1200 virtual Desktop
    on a 1280x1024 monitor. It sometimes is inconvenient, having to move the
    mouse so much ("much": first to the edge of the screen, then for the amount
    needed to scroll then back to the edge, then the same amount. It is about 2
    times more than it should be:-/ ) to see what's "in the other corner of the
    desktop".
    5. PS: I use KDE 3.x from Mandrake 10

    TIA!

  2. Re: Virtual Desktop. Alternative way to scroll Viewport's contents.

    Hello.
    No answer for such a long time?
    Is his post too LONG or what?
    The point is that I want to be able to scroll virtual viewport when moving
    mouse when CTRL is pressed (or something similar to that). I am hereby
    asking this group, whether it is possible.
    TIA.

    Użytkownik "Raven" napisał w wiadomości
    > Hi.
    >
    > 1. In X-Window there is a certain feature called Virtual Desktop. It is
    > activated, when in file XF86Config we declare, that the "Virtual"

    resolution
    > has to be bigger than physicial resolution declared in "Modes".
    > 2. One way to scroll the contents of the physical viewport is to move the
    > mouse "beyond the boundaries of visible area" (some sources call it "to

    the
    > edge of the screen"), that's quite nice solution; however:
    > 3. MY QUESTION: Is there a way to scroll WITHOUT FIRST moving the mouse to
    > the edge of screen? This would preferably look like this:
    > 3.1. i push a key on keyboard (let's say it's LEFT CTRL) and hold it
    > 3.2. while holding the key I move my mouse
    > 3.3. the viewed area moves in response to mouse movements. The mouse

    cursor
    > stands still relatively to either the virtual desktop or the physical
    > screen.
    > 3.4. hmm. if any such thing exists, I would probably call it Viewport

    Mouse
    > Panning :-)
    > 4. The reason why I asked this question: I use a 1600x1200 virtual Desktop
    > on a 1280x1024 monitor. It sometimes is inconvenient, having to move the
    > mouse so much ("much": first to the edge of the screen, then for the

    amount
    > needed to scroll then back to the edge, then the same amount. It is about

    2
    > times more than it should be:-/ ) to see what's "in the other corner of

    the
    > desktop".
    > 5. PS: I use KDE 3.x from Mandrake 10
    >
    > TIA!

  3. Re: Virtual Desktop. Alternative way to scroll Viewport's contents.

    "Raven" writes:

    > Hello.
    > No answer for such a long time?
    > Is his post too LONG or what?
    > The point is that I want to be able to scroll virtual viewport when moving
    > mouse when CTRL is pressed (or something similar to that). I am hereby
    > asking this group, whether it is possible.

    Yes, too long and confused.

    Use the window manager virtual desktop, not the X windows one.

  4. Re: Virtual Desktop. Alternative way to scroll Viewport's contents.

    Hi
    > Yes, too long and confused.

    1. Confused? I was trying to be as specific as possible and to give any
    possible needed detail...

    >Use the window manager virtual desktop, not the X windows one.

    1. Why?
    2. Under Window Manager's virtual desktop: will I be able to scroll
    _smoothly_?

  5. Re: Virtual Desktop. Alternative way to scroll Viewport's contents.

    "Raven" writes:

    > Hi
    >> Yes, too long and confused.

    > 1. Confused? I was trying to be as specific as possible and to give any
    > possible needed detail...

    Too much detail.

    >>Use the window manager virtual desktop, not the X windows one.

    > 1. Why?
    > 2. Under Window Manager's virtual desktop: will I be able to scroll
    > _smoothly_?

    Window manager scrolling is meant to be used every day.
    Different window managers have different ways of providing scrolling.
    You should be able to find more ways of scrolling than you can imagine.

    The stuff X86 does is for special situations, not everyday use.

+ Reply to Thread