"X Server" for MS-DOS? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on "X Server" for MS-DOS? - Xwindows ; Hello people. After I discovered that I can do networking in DOS, I am interested in turning old DOS PC's (actually, FreeDOS) into "X Terminals" that connect to remote Linux server, to run X over a network. Question: Exists any ...

  1. "X Server" for MS-DOS?

    Hello people.

    After I discovered that I can do networking in DOS, I am interested in turning
    old DOS PC's (actually, FreeDOS) into "X Terminals" that connect to remote
    Linux server, to run X over a network.

    Question:

    Exists any free, or cheap, X Server that runs on DOS, and is compatible with
    X11R6 (the latest X version)? The remote Linux computer is using XFree86. I
    will probably run a light window manager (ex. WindowMaker) over the
    connection.

    Thanks!
    --
    Chaos Master®, posting from Brazil. REPLY TO GROUP!
    "There's just too much that time can't erase..."

  2. Re: "X Server" for MS-DOS?

    Chaos Master says...

    Try Xappeal: http://www.google.com/search?q=xtreme+xappeal

    --
    Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire.
    Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you

  3. Re: "X Server" for MS-DOS?

    Chaos Master wrote in
    news:MPG.1b66877822e16339989715@news.individual.ne t:
    > Exists any free, or cheap, X Server that runs on DOS, and is compatible
    > with X11R6 (the latest X version)?

    My web site lists a couple of dozen X servers for PCs, including one for
    MSDOS.

    Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

  4. Re: "X Server" for MS-DOS?

    cat /etc/passwd | grep Ken Lee returns:
    > Chaos Master wrote in
    > news:MPG.1b66877822e16339989715@news.individual.ne t:
    > > Exists any free, or cheap, X Server that runs on DOS, and is compatible
    > > with X11R6 (the latest X version)?

    > My web site lists a couple of dozen X servers for PCs, including one for
    > MSDOS.

    I will check it. I knew that there is DESQView/X, but it's X11R5. As I
    understand it, a modern window manager (e.g. KDE, GNOME) would not work
    correctly.

    []s
    --
    Chaos Master®, posting from Brazil. REPLY TO GROUP!
    "Bring me to life..."

+ Reply to Thread