[ANNOUNCE] KDocker 0.3 - Xwindows

This is a discussion on [ANNOUNCE] KDocker 0.3 - Xwindows ; Hi Guys, Ever wished your favourite editor/im/media player had system tray docking capabilities? Sadly very few apps have docking capabilties (yahoo! and xmms for instance dont have any). Even if they do sometimes they are specific to desktops. Works on ...

  1. [ANNOUNCE] KDocker 0.3

    Hi Guys,
    Ever wished your favourite editor/im/media player had system tray
    docking capabilities? Sadly very few apps have docking capabilties
    (yahoo! and xmms for instance dont have any). Even if they do sometimes
    they are specific to desktops. Works on KDE but not on GNOME and vice versa.

    KDocker will help you dock any application in the system tray. This
    means you can dock openoffice, xmms, firefox, thunderbolt, anything!
    Just point and click. Works for both KDE and GNOME.

    More information at : http://kdocker.sourceforge.net/

    Enjoy!
    Girish

    P.S. KDocker can never be a replacement for "custom" system tray docking
    support. Simply because it cannot give intelligent custom menus.

  2. Re: [ANNOUNCE] KDocker 0.3

    Girish Ramakrishnan wrote:

    > Hi Guys,
    > Ever wished your favourite editor/im/media player had system tray
    > docking capabilities? Sadly very few apps have docking capabilties
    > (yahoo! and xmms for instance dont have any). Even if they do sometimes
    > they are specific to desktops. Works on KDE but not on GNOME and vice
    > versa.
    >
    > KDocker will help you dock any application in the system tray. This
    > means you can dock openoffice, xmms, firefox, thunderbolt, anything!
    > Just point and click. Works for both KDE and GNOME.
    >
    > More information at : http://kdocker.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > Enjoy!
    > Girish
    >
    > P.S. KDocker can never be a replacement for "custom" system tray docking
    > support. Simply because it cannot give intelligent custom menus.

    Well wasn't THAT a waste of time!!!!
    The only thing sillier than people who dont read their manuals or look at
    the app before asking silly self-evident questions is the people who dont
    look at what apps come with their desktop/distribution before spending a
    whole lot of time writing an app that already comes with their system.

    ksystraycmd has come with kde for yonkers (since about kde2.0) and allows
    ANY app to be run and hide to the tray. Not only any app but any window at
    all since you can specify the window name or a regular expression if you
    want.
    ksystray xmms will start xmms in the tray. For more advanced features see
    ksystraycmd --help.

    --
    regards,
    andrew

  3. Re: [ANNOUNCE] KDocker 0.3

    akar wrote:
    > Girish Ramakrishnan wrote:
    >

    >>Hi Guys,
    >>Ever wished your favourite editor/im/media player had system tray
    >>docking capabilities? Sadly very few apps have docking capabilties
    >>(yahoo! and xmms for instance dont have any). Even if they do sometimes
    >>they are specific to desktops. Works on KDE but not on GNOME and vice
    >>versa.
    >>
    >>KDocker will help you dock any application in the system tray. This
    >>means you can dock openoffice, xmms, firefox, thunderbolt, anything!
    >>Just point and click. Works for both KDE and GNOME.
    >>
    >>More information at : http://kdocker.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >>Enjoy!
    >>Girish
    >>
    >>P.S. KDocker can never be a replacement for "custom" system tray docking
    >>support. Simply because it cannot give intelligent custom menus.

    > Well wasn't THAT a waste of time!!!!
    > The only thing sillier than people who dont read their manuals or look at
    > the app before asking silly self-evident questions is the people who dont
    > look at what apps come with their desktop/distribution before spending a
    > whole lot of time writing an app that already comes with their system.
    >
    > ksystraycmd has come with kde for yonkers (since about kde2.0) and allows
    > ANY app to be run and hide to the tray. Not only any app but any window at
    > all since you can specify the window name or a regular expression if you
    > want.
    > ksystray xmms will start xmms in the tray. For more advanced features see
    > ksystraycmd --help.

    Hmm, thanks for the info.

    How was the OP supposed to know about 'ksystraycmd'?
    I have SuSE Pro v9.0 and there is no documentation
    for 'ksystray' - no man page, nothing.
    If you didn't already know it existed, and what it
    was for, you might overlook it.

    Does 'ksystray' work with GNOME? The OP says that
    his new app works with KDE and GNOME.

    Again, thanks.
    Larry

  4. Re: [ANNOUNCE] KDocker 0.3

    > ksystraycmd has come with kde for yonkers (since about kde2.0) and allows
    > ANY app to be run and hide to the tray. Not only any app but any window at
    > all since you can specify the window name or a regular expression if you
    > want.
    > ksystray xmms will start xmms in the tray. For more advanced features see
    > ksystraycmd --help.

    Never knew this existed, but it's great! Unfortunately mine doesn't appear
    to work with XMMS properly, the dock icon appears and XMMS works fine, but
    won't dock into the panel. The icon status shows that it is, but it's
    still there! Anyone any ideas as to why?
    --
    James: jwtelfer@iee.org
    http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~jwt102

  5. Re: [ANNOUNCE] KDocker 0.3

    akar wrote:
    > Girish Ramakrishnan wrote:
    >

    >>KDocker will help you dock any application in the system tray.

    > ksystraycmd has come with kde for yonkers (since about kde2.0) and allows
    > ANY app to be run and hide to the tray. Not only any app but any window at
    > all since you can specify the window name or a regular expression if you
    > want.
    > ksystray xmms will start xmms in the tray. For more advanced features see
    > ksystraycmd --help.

    That's cool. Too bad that the information about it is either extremely
    well-hidden or non-existent, and that the functionality isn't available
    via the system menu (or whatever KDE calls it).

    Also, ksystraycmd works for me, though I'm not in Yonkers. However, the
    long command syntax for it is annoying.

  6. Re: [ANNOUNCE] KDocker 0.3

    > Well wasn't THAT a waste of time!!!!
    > The only thing sillier than people who dont read their manuals or look at
    > the app before asking silly self-evident questions is the people who dont
    > look at what apps come with their desktop/distribution before spending a
    > whole lot of time writing an app that already comes with their system.
    >
    > ksystraycmd has come with kde for yonkers (since about kde2.0) and allows
    > ANY app to be run and hide to the tray. Not only any app but any window at
    > all since you can specify the window name or a regular expression if you
    > want.
    > ksystray xmms will start xmms in the tray. For more advanced features see
    > ksystraycmd --help.

    Someone told me about it right after it was released But anyway the
    command line interface is excruciatingly annoying. I am not very fond of
    saying "ksystraycmd -win window_id" everytime. Neither do i want to go
    to the konsole everytime to start up ksystraycmd gaim or something.
    Unless I am missing some obvious usage of this "undocumented" command.
    Also, does it work for Gnome? I keep switching desktops.

    Anyway, thanks for letting me know

    Girish

+ Reply to Thread