Still Can't Get Any Resolution in X Other Than 640x480 - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Still Can't Get Any Resolution in X Other Than 640x480 - Xwindows ; I get the following error straight after Lilo has started Linux: "You passed an undefined mode number. Press to see video modes available, to continue or wait 30 secs Video adapter: VESA VGA Mode: COLSxROWS 0 0f00 80x25 1 0f01 ...

  1. Still Can't Get Any Resolution in X Other Than 640x480

    I get the following error straight after Lilo has started Linux:
    "You passed an undefined mode number. Press to see video modes
    available, to continue or wait 30 secs
    Video adapter: VESA VGA
    Mode: COLSxROWS
    0 0f00 80x25
    1 0f01 80x50
    2 0f02 80x43
    3 0f03 80x28
    4 0f05 80x30
    5 0f06 80x34
    6 0f07 80x60
    030a 132x43
    ~
    ~
    I GET AROUND THIS ERROR by entering "linux vga=normal screen=800x600" when I
    boot but I still can't get X to use anything but 640x480 resolution. (I have
    an old Trident TGUI 9440 PCi card (which runs 800x600 under Windows) and an
    Envision EN-510 monitor.) I've tried modifying both MEPIS and KDE control
    center display/monitor/screen settings to no avail. I've attached relevant
    parts of my lilo.conf and XF86Config-4 files at the end of my email. What's
    left for me to try?

    Thanks for any ideas you can suggest.

    Trish
    P.S. Should this message be in Applications (for X) rather than hardware?

    lilo.conf
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22
    vga=791
    label=linux
    append="nomce hdc=ide-scsi "
    root=/dev/hdd2
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22
    vga=791
    label=failsafe
    append="nomce "
    root=/dev/hdd2
    XF86Config-4
    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    # 48.5-55# Warning: This may fry old Monitors
    VertRefresh 55-90# Very conservative. May flicker.
    Modeline "640x480" 25.175 640 664 760 800 480 491 493 525
    #60Hz
    Modeline "800x600" 40.12 800 848 968 1056 600 601 605 628
    #60Hz
    Modeline "1024x768" 75 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777
    806 -hsync -vsync
    ~
    ~
    ModeLine "1800x1440" 230 1800 1896 2088 2392 1440 1441 1444 1490
    +HSync +VSync
    ModeLine "1800x1440" 250 1800 1896 2088 2392 1440 1441 1444 1490
    +HSync +VSync
    vendorname "Typical Monitors"
    modelname "1024x768, 60Hz"
    ModeLine "1152x900/58Hz" 80 1152 1208 1368 1474 900 901 911 932
    EndSection
    ~
    ~
    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Card0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultColorDepth 16
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 1
    Modes "1152x900/58Hz" "640x480"
    Virtual 0 0
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 4
    Modes "1152x900/58Hz" "640x480"
    Virtual 0 0
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1152x900/58Hz" "640x480"
    Virtual 0 0
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 15
    Modes "1152x900/58Hz" "640x480"
    Virtual 0 0
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1152x900/58Hz" "640x480"
    Virtual 0 0
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1152x900/58Hz" "640x480"
    Virtual 0 0
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 32
    Modes "1152x900/58Hz" "640x480"
    Virtual 0 0
    EndSubSection
    # Only the official NVIDIA driver supports twinview
    # these setting are an example
    Option "TwinView" "false"
    Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-82"
    Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "50-75"
    Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024, 1280x1024; 1024x768, 1024x768; 640x480,
    NULL"
    Option "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "dfp,dfp"
    EndSection

  2. Re: Still Can't Get Any Resolution in X Other Than 640x480

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 23:14:10 -0700, Trish wrote:

    > I get the following error straight after Lilo has started Linux:
    > "You passed an undefined mode number. Press to see video modes
    > available, to continue or wait 30 secs
    > Video adapter: VESA VGA
    > Mode: COLSxROWS
    > 0 0f00 80x25
    > 1 0f01 80x50
    > 2 0f02 80x43
    > 3 0f03 80x28
    > 4 0f05 80x30
    > 5 0f06 80x34
    > 6 0f07 80x60
    > 030a 132x43
    > ~
    > ~
    > I GET AROUND THIS ERROR by entering "linux vga=normal screen=800x600" when I
    > boot but I still can't get X to use anything but 640x480 resolution. (I have
    > an old Trident TGUI 9440 PCi card (which runs 800x600 under Windows) and an
    > Envision EN-510 monitor.) I've tried modifying both MEPIS and KDE control
    > center display/monitor/screen settings to no avail. I've attached relevant
    > parts of my lilo.conf and XF86Config-4 files at the end of my email. What's
    > left for me to try?
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas you can suggest.
    >
    > Trish

    I have the same card as you so here is my XF86Config file for you to
    look at: Note I run X on FreeBSD so there may be some differences between
    what I have and what you need...

    # File generated by xf86config.

    #
    # Copyright (c) 1999 by The XFree86 Project, Inc.
    #
    # Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
    # copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
    # to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
    # the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
    # and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
    # Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
    #
    # The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
    # all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
    #
    # THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
    # IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
    # FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL
    # THE XFREE86 PROJECT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY,
    # WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF
    # OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
    # SOFTWARE.
    #
    # Except as contained in this notice, the name of the XFree86 Project shall
    # not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other
    # dealings in this Software without prior written authorization from the
    # XFree86 Project.
    #

    # ************************************************** ********************
    # Refer to the XF86Config(4/5) man page for details about the format of
    # this file.
    # ************************************************** ********************

    # ************************************************** ********************
    # Module section -- this section is used to specify
    # which dynamically loadable modules to load.
    # ************************************************** ********************
    #
    Section "Module"

    # This loads the DBE extension module.

    Load "dbe" # Double buffer extension

    # This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
    # initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
    SubSection "extmod"
    Option "omit xfree86-dga" # don't initialise the DGA extension
    EndSubSection

    # This loads the Type1 and FreeType font modules
    Load "type1"
    Load "speedo"
    Load "freetype"
    # Load "xtt"

    # This loads the GLX module
    # Load "glx"
    # This loads the DRI module
    # Load "dri"

    EndSection

    # ************************************************** ********************
    # Files section. This allows default font and rgb paths to be set
    # ************************************************** ********************

    Section "Files"

    # The location of the RGB database. Note, this is the name of the
    # file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db"). There is normally
    # no need to change the default.

    RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

    # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are concatenated together),
    # as well as specifying multiple comma-separated entries in one FontPath
    # command (or a combination of both methods)
    #
    # If you don't have a floating point coprocessor and emacs, Mosaic or other
    # programs take long to start up, try moving the Type1 and Speedo directory
    # to the end of this list (or comment them out).
    #
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/bitstream-vera/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/freefont/"
    FontPath "/usr/local/share/fonts/"
    # The module search path. The default path is shown here.

    # ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"

    EndSection

    # ************************************************** ********************
    # Server flags section.
    # ************************************************** ********************

    Section "ServerFlags"

    # Uncomment this to cause a core dump at the spot where a signal is
    # received. This may leave the console in an unusable state, but may
    # provide a better stack trace in the core dump to aid in debugging

    # Option "NoTrapSignals"

    # Uncomment this to disable the VT switch sequence
    # (where n is 1 through 12). This allows clients to receive these key
    # events.

    # Option "DontVTSwitch"

    # Uncomment this to disable the server abort sequence
    # This allows clients to receive this key event.

    # Option "DontZap"

    # Uncomment this to disable the / mode switching
    # sequences. This allows clients to receive these key events.

    # Option "Dont Zoom"

    # Uncomment this to disable tuning with the xvidtune client. With
    # it the client can still run and fetch card and monitor attributes,
    # but it will not be allowed to change them. If it tries it will
    # receive a protocol error.

    # Option "DisableVidModeExtension"

    # Uncomment this to enable the use of a non-local xvidtune client.

    # Option "AllowNonLocalXvidtune"

    # Uncomment this to disable dynamically modifying the input device
    # (mouse and keyboard) settings.

    # Option "DisableModInDev"

    # Uncomment this to enable the use of a non-local client to
    # change the keyboard or mouse settings (currently only xset).

    # Option "AllowNonLocalModInDev"

    EndSection

    # ************************************************** ********************
    # Input devices
    # ************************************************** ********************

    # ************************************************** ********************
    # Core keyboard's InputDevice section
    # ************************************************** ********************

    Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier "Keyboard1"
    Driver "Keyboard"

    # For most OSs the protocol can be omitted (it defaults to "Standard").
    # When using XQUEUE (only for SVR3 and SVR4, but not Solaris),
    # uncomment the following line.

    # Option "Protocol" "Xqueue"

    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"

    # Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
    # Option "Xleds" "1 2 3"

    # Option "LeftAlt" "Meta"
    # Option "RightAlt" "ModeShift"

    # To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
    # lines below (which are the defaults). For example, for a non-U.S.
    # keyboard, you will probably want to use:
    # Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
    # If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
    # Option "XkbModel" "microsoft"
    #
    # Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
    # For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
    # Option "XkbLayout" "de"
    # or:
    # Option "XkbLayout" "de"
    # Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
    #
    # If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
    # control keys, use:
    # Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"

    # These are the default XKB settings for XFree86
    # Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    # Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
    # Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    # Option "XkbVariant" ""
    # Option "XkbOptions" ""

    # Option "XkbDisable"

    Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"

    EndSection

    # ************************************************** ********************
    # Core Pointer's InputDevice section
    # ************************************************** ********************

    Section "InputDevice"

    # Identifier and driver

    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "Microsoft"
    Option "Device" "/dev/cuaa1"

    # Mouse-speed setting for PS/2 mouse.

    # Option "Resolution" "256"

    # When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
    # the following line.

    # Option "Protocol" "Xqueue"

    # Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice. In
    # almost every case these lines should be omitted.

    # Option "BaudRate" "9600"
    # Option "SampleRate" "150"

    # Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
    # Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)

    Option "Emulate3Buttons"
    # Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"

    # ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice

    # Option "ChordMiddle"

    EndSection

    # ************************************************** ********************
    # Other input device sections
    # this is optional and is required only if you
    # are using extended input devices. This is for example only. Refer
    # to the XF86Config man page for a description of the options.
    # ************************************************** ********************
    #
    # Section "InputDevice"
    # Identifier "Mouse2"
    # Driver "mouse"
    # Option "Protocol" "MouseMan"
    # Option "Device" "/dev/mouse2"
    # EndSection
    #
    # Section "InputDevice"
    # Identifier "spaceball"
    # Driver "magellan"
    # Option "Device" "/dev/cua0"
    # EndSection
    #
    # Section "InputDevice"
    # Identifier "spaceball2"
    # Driver "spaceorb"
    # Option "Device" "/dev/cua0"
    # EndSection
    #
    # Section "InputDevice"
    # Identifier "touchscreen0"
    # Driver "microtouch"
    # Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
    # Option "MinX" "1412"
    # Option "MaxX" "15184"
    # Option "MinY" "15372"
    # Option "MaxY" "1230"
    # Option "ScreenNumber" "0"
    # Option "ReportingMode" "Scaled"
    # Option "ButtonNumber" "1"
    # Option "SendCoreEvents"
    # EndSection
    #
    # Section "InputDevice"
    # Identifier "touchscreen1"
    # Driver "elo2300"
    # Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
    # Option "MinX" "231"
    # Option "MaxX" "3868"
    # Option "MinY" "3858"
    # Option "MaxY" "272"
    # Option "ScreenNumber" "0"
    # Option "ReportingMode" "Scaled"
    # Option "ButtonThreshold" "17"
    # Option "ButtonNumber" "1"
    # Option "SendCoreEvents"
    # EndSection

    # ************************************************** ********************
    # Monitor section
    # ************************************************** ********************

    # Any number of monitor sections may be present

    Section "Monitor"

    Identifier "OptiQuest"

    # HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
    # HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
    # comma separated list of ranges of values.
    # NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY. REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
    # USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

    HorizSync 31.5, 46.9, 48.4

    # HorizSync 30-64 # multisync
    # HorizSync 31.5, 35.2 # multiple fixed sync frequencies
    # HorizSync 15-25, 30-50 # multiple ranges of sync frequencies

    # VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
    # VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
    # comma separated list of ranges of values.
    # NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY. REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
    # USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

    VertRefresh 50-100

    EndSection

    # ************************************************** ********************
    # Graphics device section
    # ************************************************** ********************

    # Any number of graphics device sections may be present

    # Device configured by xf86config:

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "VESA"
    Driver "vesa"
    #VideoRam 1024
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
    EndSection

    # ************************************************** ********************
    # Screen sections
    # ************************************************** ********************

    # Any number of screen sections may be present. Each describes
    # the configuration of a single screen. A single specific screen section
    # may be specified from the X server command line with the "-screen"
    # option.
    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen 1"
    Device "VESA"
    Monitor "OptiQuest"
    DefaultDepth 16

    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "800x600" "640x480"
    ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "640x480"
    ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubsection
    EndSection

    # ************************************************** ********************
    # ServerLayout sections.
    # ************************************************** ********************

    # Any number of ServerLayout sections may be present. Each describes
    # the way multiple screens are organised. A specific ServerLayout
    # section may be specified from the X server command line with the
    # "-layout" option. In the absence of this, the first section is used.
    # When now ServerLayout section is present, the first Screen section
    # is used alone.

    Section "ServerLayout"

    # The Identifier line must be present
    Identifier "Simple Layout"

    # Each Screen line specifies a Screen section name, and optionally
    # the relative position of other screens. The four names after
    # primary screen name are the screens to the top, bottom, left and right
    # of the primary screen. In this example, screen 2 is located to the
    # right of screen 1.

    Screen "Screen 1"

    # Each InputDevice line specifies an InputDevice section name and
    # optionally some options to specify the way the device is to be
    # used. Those options include "CorePointer", "CoreKeyboard" and
    # "SendCoreEvents".

    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

    EndSection

    # Section "DRI"
    # Mode 0666
    # EndSection

  3. Re: Still Can't Get Any Resolution in X Other Than 640x480

    Michael,

    If you go to
    http://mepislovers.com/modules/newbb...#forumpost1442
    you'll see all the various tweaks I've tried during the last several days -
    and maybe understand how much I appreciate your help. Thank you SOOOO much.

    Trish

    P.S. I noticed you'd used xf86config so I did the same, supplying the VESA
    device data like you did and it worked like a charm! Thank you!

    "Michael C. Shultz" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.06.09.09.38.01.106019@inbox.lv...
    > On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 23:14:10 -0700, Trish wrote:
    > I have the same card as you so here is my XF86Config file for you to
    > look at: Note I run X on FreeBSD so there may be some differences between
    > what I have and what you need...
    >
    > # File generated by xf86config.

    ~
    ~

  4. Re: Still Can't Get Any Resolution in X Other Than 640x480

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 02:26:18 -0700, Trish wrote:

    > Michael,
    >
    > If you go to
    > http://mepislovers.com/modules/newbb...#forumpost1442
    > you'll see all the various tweaks I've tried during the last several days -
    > and maybe understand how much I appreciate your help. Thank you SOOOO much.
    >
    > Trish

    I took a look at your link, I guess for anyone to have actually been able
    to help they would have had to have the same video card as you. Glad my
    post helped, though you get the real credit for solving this on your own.

    PS: If that is your pic you are about the finest hacker I've ever met!
    (I define hacker as the rare person who does not give up until they make
    their computer do what they want)

    > P.S. I noticed you'd used xf86config so I did the same, supplying the VESA
    > device data like you did and it worked like a charm! Thank you!

    Welcome and well done for solving your own problem with only a tiny hint
    from me.

    -Mike

  5. Re: Still Can't Get Any Resolution in X Other Than 640x480

    Well, thanks for the compliment; truth is some have likened me to a dog with
    a bone. &;-)

    Nonetheless, I wouldn't have gotten there without you! Thanks again.

    Trish
    "Michael C. Shultz" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.06.10.05.15.26.176521@inbox.lv...
    > On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 02:26:18 -0700, Trish wrote:
    >
    > > Michael,
    > >
    > > If you go to

    http://mepislovers.com/modules/newbb...#forumpost1442
    > > you'll see all the various tweaks I've tried during the last several

    days -
    > > and maybe understand how much I appreciate your help. Thank you SOOOO

    much.

    > > Trish

    > I took a look at your link, I guess for anyone to have actually been able
    > to help they would have had to have the same video card as you. Glad my
    > post helped, though you get the real credit for solving this on your own.
    >
    > PS: If that is your pic you are about the finest hacker I've ever met!
    > (I define hacker as the rare person who does not give up until they make
    > their computer do what they want)
    >

    > > P.S. I noticed you'd used xf86config so I did the same, supplying the

    VESA
    > > device data like you did and it worked like a charm! Thank you!

    > Welcome and well done for solving your own problem with only a tiny hint
    > from me.
    >
    > -Mike

+ Reply to Thread