Adding Xkb modifier keys - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Adding Xkb modifier keys - Xwindows ; Hello NG, I'm trying to use my Windows keys as modifier keys to map the Greek alphabet to my keyboard. Unfortunately I'm completely lost. I think the best way would be to define a new group. But how do I ...

  1. Adding Xkb modifier keys

    Hello NG,

    I'm trying to use my Windows keys as modifier keys to map the
    Greek alphabet to my keyboard. Unfortunately I'm completely
    lost. I think the best way would be to define a new group. But
    how do I do this and how do I make the Windows keys activate
    this group? And is there a way to define this group once and
    make it includeable for all Dvorak layouts, so it's not just
    usable by my own German one? You see I have only a very little
    idea of how Xkb works but if you have any documentation for me
    to read I'd be very glad.

    Thanks a lot in advance and kind regards,

    Christian

    PS: I read over the "Unreliable Guide to XKB Configuration" but
    to be honest I didn't get the part about groups and
    compatability maps :/

    --
    ,----------------------------. ___________________ /"\ ASCII RIBBON
    | Christian Mertes aka mudd1 | ... |c_mertes@bigfoot.de| \ / CAMPAIGN
    `---------------------------(_ ( ии) |___________________| X AGAINSTHTML IN
    -mudd1@jabber.org-----------ooO--(_)--Ooo-------| |--------- / \ MAIL AND NEWS

  2. Re: Adding Xkb modifier keys

    Christian Mertes wrote:
    >Hello NG,
    >
    >I'm trying to use my Windows keys as modifier keys to map the
    >Greek alphabet to my keyboard. Unfortunately I'm completely
    >lost. I think the best way would be to define a new group.

    Groups generally are the equivalent of alphabets; for example, a
    Russian person might use group 1 as the Latin alphabet, group 2 as the
    Cyrillic. In use, he would hit a Group change key to alternate
    between the two: in other words, he is expected to be using only one
    alphabet at a time (mostly), and that he wants a hard shift between
    the two.

    Someone who only wants an occasional Greek letter (for use in
    mathematical formulae, for example), probably would want a different
    setup. One possibility is a temporary group change key (like control
    or shift); another is the use of Multi_Key support such as in the
    sequence Multi_Key, o, / to produce phi.

    The difference is that the Multi_key sequences are easier to define,
    and can be more mnemonic, but they would never be a substitute for
    someone who really wants to change alphabets.

    > But
    >how do I do this and how do I make the Windows keys activate
    >this group?

    Look at the entries in the symbols directory for ru, us_group2,
    us_group3, group, dvorak, and us. Here ru defines a new alphabet by
    overriding us, us_group{2,3} can be applied to anything to supply the
    new group.

    > And is there a way to define this group once and
    >make it includeable for all Dvorak layouts, so it's not just
    >usable by my own German one?

    Huh?

    > You see I have only a very little
    >idea of how Xkb works but if you have any documentation for me
    >to read I'd be very glad.

    This resource was recently mentioned in this NG, and it is excellent:
    http://pascal.tsu.ru/other/xkb/

    >Thanks a lot in advance and kind regards,
    >
    > Christian

  3. Re: Adding Xkb modifier keys

    kbr@pangea.ca (Kip Rugger) wrote:

    [snip-a-lot]
    > Look at the entries in the symbols directory for ru,
    > us_group2, us_group3, group, dvorak, and us. Here ru defines
    > a new alphabet by overriding us, us_group{2,3} can be applied
    > to anything to supply the new group.

    Thanks a million for your detailed answer, Kip. Following your
    hints it was no problem anymore to do what I wanted.

    For anyone possibly searching for this topic I will include the
    solution I found thanks to your help:

    partial alphanumeric_keys
    xkb_symbols "greek" {
    augment "group(win_switch)"
    name[Group1]= "Default";
    name[Group2]= "Greek";
    key { [], [Greek_alpha, Greek_ALPHA] };
    // [...]
    };

    > >And is there a way to define this group once and
    > >make it includeable for all Dvorak layouts, so it's not just
    > >usable by my own German one?

    > Huh?

    Yeah, actually groups are made exactly for that it seems so the
    question didn't make a lot of sense

    > This resource was recently mentioned in this NG, and it is
    > excellent: http://pascal.tsu.ru/other/xkb/

    Thanks again and kind regards,

    Christian

    --