I have a problem with my laptop which has an ATI Rage Mobility P/M board.
I cannot get it to run under FC-2 at 1024x768 with 16bpp (or better).
[It ran perfectly under FC-1, ie XFree86, with this setting.]

However, I'm not asking directly about that now,
but rather how the computer decides what is an acceptable resolution.
It seems from /var/log/Xorg.0.log that there is a database
of acceptable settings, but where exactly is this kept?
Is it driver ("ati" in my case) specific?

As far as I can see, my computer (a Sony C1VFK Picturebook)
does not send a useful EDID response (according to the read-edid program)
so system-config-display and similar programs
are unable to write an acceptable xorg.conf .

But I cannot find anywhere a clear statement
of the criteria Xorg uses to determine if settings are acceptable.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366