Two questions about X server - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Two questions about X server - Xwindows ; Hi, We are running a JAVA process in Solaris (2.8 for example) as a non interactive process. However, this process requires some X resources. Therefore we define a display for it. The script that runs our process first defines the ...

  1. Two questions about X server

    Hi,

    We are running a JAVA process in Solaris (2.8 for example) as a non
    interactive process. However, this process requires some X resources.
    Therefore we define a display for it.
    The script that runs our process first defines the DISPLAY properly to
    be :0.0

    Now, there are two problems:
    1. We have to log into the Solaris station in order to have an X
    server that will listen to our requests. Before loging in we are
    refused. The window manager is CDE.

    2. We have to run "xhost +" from the station, otherwise we get a
    refusal.
    This is very confusing since if I login from another computer to the
    same server, define the DISPLAY the same and run xclock - it is opened
    in the station without having to run "xhost +". I've added xclock to
    my script and it fails in the same way.

    Does anyone can help with any of the two problems?

    Toda, Ofir.

  2. Re: Two questions about X server

    In comp.windows.x, Ofir Azoulay

    wrote
    on 31 May 2004 09:06:56 -0700
    <197454cc.0405310806.1ff8e436@posting.google.com>:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We are running a JAVA process in Solaris (2.8 for example) as a non
    > interactive process. However, this process requires some X resources.
    > Therefore we define a display for it.
    > The script that runs our process first defines the DISPLAY properly to
    > be :0.0
    >
    > Now, there are two problems:
    > 1. We have to log into the Solaris station in order to have an X
    > server that will listen to our requests. Before loging in we are
    > refused. The window manager is CDE.
    >
    > 2. We have to run "xhost +" from the station, otherwise we get a
    > refusal.
    > This is very confusing since if I login from another computer to the
    > same server, define the DISPLAY the same and run xclock - it is opened
    > in the station without having to run "xhost +". I've added xclock to
    > my script and it fails in the same way.
    >
    > Does anyone can help with any of the two problems?
    >
    > Toda, Ofir.

    [1] Have you tried headless mode?

    java -Djava.awt.headless=true ...

    [2] Try not to use 'xhost +'; it allows everyone on the
    Internet to open windows on that node (definitely A
    Bad Thing), absent firewalling. No doubt you have
    two accounts: the one logged into using CDE, and the
    one running the Java process. If you really need X
    resources in the Java process (see [1], above), you
    can try getting the authorization from the CDE account:

    xauth list

    and then create an .Xauthority file using the requisite token,
    by running xauth:

    xauth add xserverhost:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    where 'x' is the 32-bit hexkey listed earlier. Note that
    this authkey changes every time one logs into CDE.

    [3] X is slightly confusing. The display side is the *server* (it
    serves up the graphics); the clients connect thereinto (usually
    on port 6000 or through a secure tunnel transparently set up
    by ssh), but the clients are probably running on a far more
    powerful machine in many applications, especially if one has
    an X terminal.

    [4] xdm allows no one access until someone's logged in, AFAIK:
    the rough equivalent of 'xhost -'.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

  3. Re: Two questions about X server

    ofiraz@yahoo.com (Ofir Azoulay) writes in comp.windows.x:
    |We are running a JAVA process in Solaris (2.8 for example) as a non
    |interactive process. However, this process requires some X resources.
    |Therefore we define a display for it.

    See http://developers.sun.com/solaris/ar..._graphics.html for
    some better ways to do it without the problems you've been having.

    Alan Coopersmith alanc@alum.calberkeley.org
    http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/ aka: Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM