X config file - Xwindows

This is a discussion on X config file - Xwindows ; I've upgraded to Fedora-2, which has worked perfectly, except that I can only get X working in DefaultDepth 8 on my Sony C1VFK laptop. There are fairly serious disadvantages in this, eg Mozilla has become unreadable. (I've gone back to ...

  1. X config file

    I've upgraded to Fedora-2,
    which has worked perfectly,
    except that I can only get X working in DefaultDepth 8
    on my Sony C1VFK laptop.
    There are fairly serious disadvantages in this,
    eg Mozilla has become unreadable.
    (I've gone back to Konqueror.)

    This has led me to investigate X Windows more than I want -
    I've always regarded it as something that works by magic.

    Anyway, I have a number of queries:

    (1) Do LCD screens have an unchangeable hsync and vsync?
    Or do they have ranges like classical monitors?

    (2) If the latter, is there any way of determining
    the values chosen by Windows-2000?

    (3) The various ways of determining these values
    mentioned in the Xorg documentation
    eg "X -configure" or system-config-display
    don't seem to work.
    I tried a program read-edid/get-edid
    but this said the machine would not give back proper values.

    Is there any other way of determining correct hsync/vsync?

    I should perhaps mention that the video "card" is
    an ATI Rage Mobility P/M
    while the screen is described by get-edid as "DXS:1313".

    (4) My main puzzle is that I can get the machine working
    with DefaultDepth 16 with 1024x768 screen,
    but when I substitute
    Viewport 1024 480
    Virtual 1024 768
    it fails.
    (This setting is more or less required on the C1 laptop.)

    I don't understand why the driver would find this
    more difficult than the full size screen?

    Any and all advice or suggestions gratefully received.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  2. Re: X config file

    Timothy Murphy writes:

    > I've upgraded to Fedora-2,
    > which has worked perfectly,
    > except that I can only get X working in DefaultDepth 8
    > on my Sony C1VFK laptop.
    > There are fairly serious disadvantages in this,
    > eg Mozilla has become unreadable.
    > (I've gone back to Konqueror.)
    >
    > This has led me to investigate X Windows more than I want -
    > I've always regarded it as something that works by magic.
    >
    > Anyway, I have a number of queries:
    >
    > (1) Do LCD screens have an unchangeable hsync and vsync?
    > Or do they have ranges like classical monitors?

    LCD monitors with VGA input usually work fine with hsync 50-80 kHz and
    vsync 60-70 Hz. It's OK to use a low vsync, LCDs don't flicker.

    Since this is a laptop, I would guess that the LCD is using some kind
    of digital interface to the graphics chip. In this case the sync
    values are ignored, but need to be set to reasonable values to make X
    choose a good screen size. If X fails to detect the size of the LCD
    you might need to add a Modes line to the Screen section.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

+ Reply to Thread