MS Windows PC as a client - Xwindows

This is a discussion on MS Windows PC as a client - Xwindows ; I have been combing the internet trying to find some documentation that will help me to run an application from a Windows PC to a remote X-Windows terminal. I have found multiple instances where people have been running the server ...

  1. MS Windows PC as a client

    I have been combing the internet trying to find some documentation
    that will help me to run an application from a Windows PC to a remote
    X-Windows terminal. I have found multiple instances where people have
    been running the server on the PC, but I would like to try the
    reverse.

    Could anyone help me to figure out what this would entail?
    Thanks.

  2. Re: MS Windows PC as a client

    In comp.windows.x, Kendra

    wrote
    on 27 May 2004 08:30:11 -0700
    <83dc4dfa.0405270730.3ec17241@posting.google.com>:
    > I have been combing the internet trying to find some documentation
    > that will help me to run an application from a Windows PC to a remote
    > X-Windows terminal. I have found multiple instances where people have
    > been running the server on the PC, but I would like to try the
    > reverse.
    >
    > Could anyone help me to figure out what this would entail?
    > Thanks.

    www.winehq.com might be of some assistance, if one can get it
    to compile on Win32 (I've seen hints that one can but I don't
    have Windows at home). Compilation appears to be the main stumbling
    block if one goes that route, and success also depends on how
    cooperative Wine is with your app.

    The simplest route, however, might be to use VNC. The
    main problem with VNC is that only one user can run things
    on the server at a time, and it does need something on
    the client side. (That's not because of VNC, but
    because of Windows.) However, given those limitations, one
    can easily set up VNC on both Windows (as a server) and
    another node running X, probably Linux, and have the display
    of the Linux node go to your Xterminal.

    It's kinda roundabout, though, that way.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

  3. Re: MS Windows PC as a client

    Kendra wrote:
    > I have been combing the internet trying to find some documentation
    > that will help me to run an application from a Windows PC to a remote
    > X-Windows terminal. I have found multiple instances where people have
    > been running the server on the PC, but I would like to try the
    > reverse.

    The VNC route already suggested is, I think, the only inexpensive solution.

    Commercial offerings that might fit your needs include:
    "MetaFrame" from citrix.com, I'm pretty sure they have the
    pieces/parts to solve your problem.
    "Windows Terminal Server" from microsoft.com, I'm not sure if they
    support X terminals but if you can run a browser on the terminal they
    might have a thin client solution.

    HTH,

    -- ced

    --
    Chuck Dillon
    Senior Software Engineer

  4. Re: MS Windows PC as a client

    Chuck Dillon wrote in message news:...
    > Kendra wrote:
    > > I have been combing the internet trying to find some documentation
    > > that will help me to run an application from a Windows PC to a remote
    > > X-Windows terminal. I have found multiple instances where people have
    > > been running the server on the PC, but I would like to try the
    > > reverse.

    > The VNC route already suggested is, I think, the only inexpensive solution.
    >
    > Commercial offerings that might fit your needs include:
    > "MetaFrame" from citrix.com, I'm pretty sure they have the
    > pieces/parts to solve your problem.
    > "Windows Terminal Server" from microsoft.com, I'm not sure if they
    > support X terminals but if you can run a browser on the terminal they
    > might have a thin client solution.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > -- ced
    >

    > > Could anyone help me to figure out what this would entail?
    > > Thanks.

    Thanks for the suggestions, however...
    I am attempting to run an automated process from my PC at start-up and
    start a window on a remote X-Windows terminal (Solaris) while all the
    processing is being done under Windows. I have evaluated a couple of
    these products that I have heard about from this group as well as some
    others researched on the web. However, I don't believe that VNC or any
    of the others would work in my case, being seperate processes
    themselves.

    There has to be another way to do this. Is there some X library that I
    can install on my PC to take advantage of a DISPLAY variable or the
    like?

    thanks,
    - ken.

  5. Re: MS Windows PC as a client

    Kendra wrote:

    > Thanks for the suggestions, however...
    > I am attempting to run an automated process from my PC at start-up and
    > start a window on a remote X-Windows terminal (Solaris) while all the
    > processing is being done under Windows. I have evaluated a couple of
    > these products that I have heard about from this group as well as some
    > others researched on the web. However, I don't believe that VNC or any
    > of the others would work in my case, being seperate processes
    > themselves.
    >
    > There has to be another way to do this. Is there some X library that I
    > can install on my PC to take advantage of a DISPLAY variable or the
    > like?

    If you are saying that you can modify the "automated process" to make X
    calls then sure you can install an X11 sdk on your MS-Windows
    development system and enable your process to speak X to the remote
    display.

    See Ken Lee's site for a list of possibilities for X11 libraries.
    http://www.rahul.net/kenton/xsites.framed.html

    -- ced

    --
    Chuck Dillon
    Senior Software Engineer

  6. Re: MS Windows PC as a client

    Chuck Dillon wrote in message news:...

    > ... you can install an X11 sdk on your MS-Windows
    > development system and enable your process to speak X to the remote
    > display.

    An X11 SDK sounds like a wonderful idea! Just what I'm looking for.

    > See Ken Lee's site for a list of possibilities for X11 libraries.
    > http://www.rahul.net/kenton/xsites.framed.html

    I've gone over Kenton's site more than a couple times, now, though,
    and even once more after your suggestion. I have been known to miss
    the obvious in the past, but I haven't found reference to an X11 SDK
    on his site.

    Any more suggestions?
    thanks,
    - ken.

  7. Re: MS Windows PC as a client

    Kendra wrote:
    > Chuck Dillon wrote in message news:...
    >

    >>... you can install an X11 sdk on your MS-Windows
    >>development system and enable your process to speak X to the remote
    >>display.

    > An X11 SDK sounds like a wonderful idea! Just what I'm looking for.
    >

    >>See Ken Lee's site for a list of possibilities for X11 libraries.
    >> http://www.rahul.net/kenton/xsites.framed.html

    > I've gone over Kenton's site more than a couple times, now, though,
    > and even once more after your suggestion. I have been known to miss
    > the obvious in the past, but I haven't found reference to an X11 SDK
    > on his site.

    The section that covers X on MS-Windows includes packages that include
    the X11 sdk. For example Hummingbird's eXceed and Cygwin. SCO's
    wintif is part of an "xdk", or at least it used to be. I believe you
    can get the X APIs for U/Win from
    http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/. Follow some of the links in
    that section of Ken's site to find the current options.

    -- ced

    --
    Chuck Dillon
    Senior Software Engineer