Baffling XF86Config problem - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Baffling XF86Config problem - Xwindows ; Hi all, I have X on Linux (Redhat 9) and it won't switch to text terminal mode by hitting the hotkey ctl-alt-F2..5. I was advised to check for a line in XF86Config saying Option "DontVTSwitch" "true" and comment it out. ...

  1. Baffling XF86Config problem

    Hi all, I have X on Linux (Redhat 9) and it won't switch to text
    terminal mode by hitting the hotkey ctl-alt-F2..5. I was advised to
    check for a line in XF86Config saying

    Option "DontVTSwitch" "true"

    and comment it out. But that line isn't there. What else could be
    stopping it going to a text vt? I have 6 mingettys running, according to
    ps. (Oh, ctl-alt-backspace doesn't work either and there is no DontZap
    line.)

    Lastly, locate shows that the system has a whole pile (maybe 6, but I'm
    not on that machine to check right now) of XF86Config files in various
    system directories. How do I find out which one is the 'live' one?

    Appreciations for any suggestions!

    --
    Ron House house@usq.edu.au
    http://www.sci.usq.edu.au/staff/house

  2. Re: Baffling XF86Config problem

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 09:20:12 +0200, Ron House wrote:
    [...]
    > Lastly, locate shows that the system has a whole pile (maybe 6, but I'm
    > not on that machine to check right now) of XF86Config files in various
    > system directories. How do I find out which one is the 'live' one?

    ~$ less /var/log/XFree86.0.log
    (for display :0.0; change "0" accordingly for other display)

    Look for '(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"'

    HTH, Darius.

  3. Re: Baffling XF86Config problem

    in message <40ADADAC.20404@usq.edu.au>,
    wrote Ron House ...

    > Hi all, I have X on Linux (Redhat 9) and it won't switch to text
    > terminal mode by hitting the hotkey ctl-alt-F2..5. I was advised
    > to check for a line in XF86Config saying
    >
    > Option "DontVTSwitch" "true"
    >
    > and comment it out. But that line isn't there. What else could be
    > stopping it going to a text vt?

    Once you have found which configuration file is being used AND are
    running 4.3.x version (cannot say anything about v4.4), then add...

    Options "HandleSpecialKeys" "Always"

    ....to "ServerFlags" section.

    VT switching and killing X via Ctrl-Alt-Backspce had worked in
    versions earlier than 4.3 w/o the need of addding
    "HandleSpecialKeys" option.

    - parv

    --
    As nice it is to receive personal mail, too much sweetness causes
    tooth decay. Unless you have burning desire to contact me, do not do

  4. Re: Baffling XF86Config problem

    parv wrote:

    > Once you have found which configuration file is being used AND are
    > running 4.3.x version (cannot say anything about v4.4), then add...
    >
    > Options "HandleSpecialKeys" "Always"
    >

    > ...to "ServerFlags" section.
    >
    > VT switching and killing X via Ctrl-Alt-Backspce had worked in
    > versions earlier than 4.3 w/o the need of addding
    > "HandleSpecialKeys" option.

    Thanks Parv, I added these lines:

    Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "HandleSpecialKeys" "Always"
    EndSection

    and the problem was immediately solved for both C-A-F? and
    C-A-backspace. Thanks for the tip.

    --
    Ron House house@usq.edu.au
    http://www.sci.usq.edu.au/staff/house