I have a small X11 application that seems to run fine under older X11
versions like on this machine whose X Server announces itself as

: XFree86 Version 3.3.6 / X Window System.

On newer X versions as they came with Suse Linux 8.x and with static
linking, I see more than hundred

: Warning: Input Method Open Failed

(probably one per "Label" item).

Using 'strace', I see

: open("/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/locale.dir", O_RDONLY)

(and some 'read(5...' ) in front of each such warning.

Of course, my .bashrc orders 'export LANG="C"' since decades.

After some googling for NLS and locale.dir, I even added

: /* try to avoid unnecessary NLS specific activity */
: setlocale(LC_ALL, "C");
: if(XSetLocaleModifiers("") == NULL)
: MSG("my_prog: Warning: cannot disable babylonization junk");

to my_prog's source, but without luck.

The input method warnings disappear if I use dynamic linking, but
the slowdown due to repeated open/read/close on locale.dir remains.

Google shows quite some hits for "Input Method Open Failed", but
they seem to be only dealt with in an application package version
specific way (unless the solution is in one of those *.jp postings
that I could not decipher).

Could you please give me some hint on how to tell X11 to just use
"C" locale and not even think of accessing "locale.dir"?

TIA,
Gerhard.