Sawfish workspace customisation - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Sawfish workspace customisation - Xwindows ; Hello all, I am running Sawfish with Gnome on a Debian 3 release. I would like 9 virtual desktops, arranged in a 3-by-3 grid indexed by my keypad - when I press "7" on the keypad, I jump to the ...

  1. Sawfish workspace customisation

    Hello all,

    I am running Sawfish with Gnome on a Debian 3 release. I would like 9
    virtual desktops, arranged in a 3-by-3 grid indexed by my keypad -
    when I press "7" on the keypad, I jump to the top left desktop. When I
    press "5" I jump to the centre, etc. Call me old-fashioned, but I've
    had it this way since fvwm2 in around 1998 and it works very well for
    me.

    The Sawfish configurator tool allows me to do one of two things:
    either have 9 desktops in a line (I want them in a grid) or have
    several grids of workspaces - I don't seem to be allowed to have 1 3x3
    grid: I have to have at least 2. What's that all about? In addition,
    with this "multiple grid" setup, if I bind a key to moving to the next
    desktop, it moves me to the next grid, and I have to select the
    desktops within the grid using the mouse.

    In addition, there does not seem to be any option to bind a key to a
    specific desktop. Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Peter

  2. Re: Sawfish workspace customisation

    theoryboy@my-deja.com (Peter Saffrey) writes:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am running Sawfish with Gnome on a Debian 3 release. I would like 9
    > virtual desktops, arranged in a 3-by-3 grid indexed by my keypad -
    > when I press "7" on the keypad, I jump to the top left desktop. When I
    > press "5" I jump to the centre, etc. Call me old-fashioned, but I've
    > had it this way since fvwm2 in around 1998 and it works very well for
    > me.
    >
    > The Sawfish configurator tool allows me to do one of two things:
    > either have 9 desktops in a line (I want them in a grid) or have
    > several grids of workspaces - I don't seem to be allowed to have 1 3x3
    > grid: I have to have at least 2. What's that all about? In addition,
    > with this "multiple grid" setup, if I bind a key to moving to the next
    > desktop, it moves me to the next grid, and I have to select the
    > desktops within the grid using the mouse.
    >
    > In addition, there does not seem to be any option to bind a key to a
    > specific desktop. Any ideas?

    I have this in my ~/.sawfishrc:

    (setq viewport-dimensions '(3 . 2))
    (custom-set-keymap (quote global-keymap)
    (quote (keymap
    ((activate-viewport 1 1) . "H-q")
    ((activate-viewport 2 1) . "H-w")
    ((activate-viewport 3 1) . "H-e")
    ((activate-viewport 1 2) . "H-a")
    ((activate-viewport 2 2) . "H-s")
    ((activate-viewport 3 2) . "H-d"))))

    Change the key bindings to whatever you prefer.

    The configuration tool only presents the most common options, and with
    each release they seem to become fewer.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se